MOD: Case Mod help me out

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

MOD: Case Mod help me out

Post by n3rd »

Hey Guys, I am looking for a case mod or something that is relevant in order to achieve: small space requirements, lots of HDD room, no real add ons hardware wise.

any ideas ?
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, are you looking for modding stuff or for a pre-modded case? :-k
in the latter case you should have a look at this one.
looks really unique, lots of space for drives, and it's even pretty cheap... :)

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

to big :P, I want something compact, I am willing to make it myself, but I dont really know what kind of design I want. A compact box is fine for me, it just needs to house the mobo, proc and video card. I will hook up the HDD through a extended cable ne way.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, check this one.

a real sweet aluminium case imo, very small but you can use a regular ATX PSU. Lian Li cases are real high quality ones, but this one is even pretty cheap... :)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Build a U2 rackmount system

www.Caseman.com/Rackmount

U2 stands for 2", thats how high the box is. There are also U4s, U6s, U8s, U10s, etc a regular PC box is just like a U6. Everything that is in a regular PC box can be moved into a U2 box. Your monitor and keyboard would be extended so you can sit at a work station rather than near the rackmount.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

mmmh.....I always begin to drool when seeing such hardware DNR... :lol:
the problem is that it's pretty expensive....at least 1000 bucks for a halfway decent server system, plus PSU (and the prices of rack mounted PSUs can not be compared with the regular PC PSUs) , plus rack, plus switch... :?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well but think about the poorman's/hacker's style of a rackmount.

If you are going to setup two PCs, and a router, you want to create a "Center" - where you organize everything and secure it. You can build this on to a section of Plywood and mount it on the wall. Yes, I am talking about screwing regular PCs and router onto a peice of wood! I actually got this idea from my days as a car stereo installer - we would build a board in the trunk of a car, and mount amplifiers, equalizers, fuses, and cabling to the board - this was very secure way to nail everything down.
I later saw the same idea used in the hospital - and these could be removed entirely for service or just a component.

The rackmount system can be copied with regular PC boxes, just organize it in a standing platform (wood or metal) this would look like a very cheap version of U6 rackmounts. This system can be build like shelves in a closet. (just consider airflow first). I think in a U4 and up - they use regular PSUs, so this is not an issue of requiring special hardware. I like Google's style of thinking - use redundant, cheap PC hardware for servers. I know rackmounts cost money ($2k) but you can use the principle idea with $300 desktop PCs.

Now, I wish I had the picture here - Google's Server Farm has a unique open architecture for their rackmounted servers - imagine the PC with NO COVER on it. The rack pulls out from a ROOM that is basically a wind tunnel. All their rackmount is, is just PC components mounted on a open metal shelf - the shelf slides into this wall, the wall being in the wind tunnel room. Dust and dirt can be controlled by airfilters in the wind tunnel room.

You can build a computer system into anything - a cardboard box, on a peice of clothing, or belt, or into the trunk of a vehicle. Think outside the "box" or U2 :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

yeah I know, I just want to minimize it so that it doesnt take up alot of space, but does give alot of HDD space, I am planning to download tons of movies and TV series on there, so that I have my own Video on Demand computer XD