DNR Rant - They want you to dumb it down!

Our very own fight club!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

DNR Rant - They want you to dumb it down!

Post by DNR »

.:'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.':.
.'.'.'.'..DNR Rant..'.'.'.'..July 14 2009..'.'.'.'.
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.''.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.
' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

I think 'they' are trying to dumb us down.'They' being the
clandestine group of governments and corporations. It will happen world-wide as more powerful organizations accept the policy of hiding information from its citizens.

I have been online before and after AOL's conception. At first, it was an open network. The first users were just scientist and CIS/math college students, then the military and government got online, then corporations. There had to have been some 'implied' trust - they didn't have to secure the networks from each other. I was checking email via sendmail back in the late 1980's, we used FTP to download massive customer lists. It was a dial-up to an ISP that routed me to the servers across the USA. Then the corporations figured out how to make money - they started building more ISPs, they came out with AOL to simplify the internet experience.
The 'implied' trust that scientist and students had before was lost - newbies coming online via AOL had no respect or reverence for the internet. Criminals followed because ignorant people make easy targets for robbery.

What I see is the group of governments and corporations have come up with a plan to protect people from themselves. (its never good when other people decide whats good for you) They failed at building secure login and databases, so their only option is to take them offline. They do this by building separate domains, intranets, and perhaps even use covert protocols. They will delete any trace of information on the public WAN - and make it a nice clean, harmless container - so you can't get hurt.So you can't know what could hurt either.

I can't emphasize how important is for hackers to maintain an archive. Laws are being enacted to prohibit items on the internet - hacking tools are certainly to be banned. They don't have to make a law that per-se bans the hacking tools, but they can penalize ISPs and host for distributing or hosting the files so much that they will 'ban' the tools via strict TOS. Next will be tutorials that show how to commit 'crimes' - the same reasoning behind banning actual tools will be applied to the teaching of how-to. Your first duty as a hacker is to preserve your history.

Imagine in ten or fifteen years - no one might know what a hacker is. People will just assume the computer and network 'as is' and give up all control to the governments and corporations. People will take the internet for granted, the computer will have as much importance to their rights and freedom as a floormat. I think already we have a generation of newbies that will have no clue on how exciting it was to see the growth of the computer and internet. My life, I have lived through 8bit computers, through 16bits, 32bits, and now 64bits. I hope I will enjoy seeing 128bit. People that don't know the history of the computer and internet will just not care as much as I did.
People that don't know much about hacking, they don't understand. And thats what the government wants - they don't want you to understand, but just accept what they say.

I wrote this rant because after I went shopping for a laptop - I couldn't find one with all the ports I wanted - RJ-11, RJ-45, USB, serial, etc. You can find them with USB and wifi, and maybe a RJ-45 - but no more RJ-11! (btw if you are lost - go back to newbie networking basics to find out about RJ jacks) Why is the RJ-11 jack so important to me? Because it is a option for me to connect to a network. Before the days of wardriving - you were left with hijacking a telco line. You _can_ splice onto a twisted pair easily..

Hijacking a telco line is very easy - you just need either of two things - a very long telco line (its two wires) Analog signals don't attenuate like digital signals- so you could make a very long line to hook up (I did 75 feet with no signal loss) and attach them anywhere there was a telco box with alligator clips. I also took apart a cordless landline phone, reassembled the base in to a small black box - this allowed me to hook up at a telco box - and use the handset 'wirelessly' within range (about 30ft) by modem speakers attached to the handset.(if you are lost here, go to phreaking 102 basics - hacking cordless phones). The same can be applied to digital twisted pair (RJ-45) just strip the wires at the end of a RJ plug and wire the short cable as a dropline.

So, I felt that manufacturers decided they didn't want people to have those options, a hack to get online. They want to dumb down my equipment (like no drivers for passive sniffing wifi cards). I guess it was like Mcguyver - I can get online anywhere with a laptop, wires and clips.
Thats the future of the internet and computers - pretty soon they will be just dumb terminals accessing a very secure cloud computing environment. Your hacking will be limited to just choosing "Yes" or "Cancel".

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I could not agree with you more. I remember back in 1983 I got my hands on my first computer [complete with tape drive]. It was so mind blowing to me. I too have seen it evolve and it reminds me of the wild west stories that I was told to as a young boy. I never lived in the wild west days, but the Internets beginnings remind me of the stories. I remember that there was practical no laws, no rules people doing things that 99 percent of the rest of the world had no clue as to what was going on, but in a polite way at first.

I think that you have a great prediction regarding governments and the direction that this is all heading. Then again the hidden networks will (imo) always be tied to the "World Wide Web". Big Brother needs to keep an eye on things as always. And as always; while keeping close eye on us this will inevitably allow for us and few others to peer in allowing data to be retrieved. I also keep old data and files I suppose you can classify me as a data_clutter_bug. I got my history stored in 1's & 0's.

Great read and really made me remember the past...

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm getting old enough to see it happening myself. When i first went online, the content of the internet was a lot more broad. You didn't really have to worry about security so much, since the internet was still growing and there was a certain level of trust. Hell, hacking tools weren't even mentioned in host TOS's because they weren't of any concern at the time.

It's just slowly turning into "trusted computing".
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

"trusted computing" =

"In God We Trust, All Others We Monitor"

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

I think that the internet will always be the way it is now... most probably many things will be different... but the spirit of the internet, ALL this, definitely its staying, coz the internet was built based on human needs, and this will never change with time, thus the internet structure 8)

3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by 3XTORTION »

Well i couldn't agree more about the manufacturers but as for the hacking tools and tutorials then dont worry theres always a place when u can host your tools,tutorials and even your warez.We all know that USA(Onshore) is no longer a safe place to host these things thats why people are moving to The Netherlands or China or HongKong(Offshore)

So i think infos and tools are in a safe place where DMCA doesn't count :wink: