moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

ok
tylerboaz wrote:The number of posts that have caused arguments
I think you are even closer that before

let me explain first what the numbers are:
On this board there are ( before starting this thread )
84 posts: total number of posts
5 sticky threads
14 locked topics
since sticky threads never get locked, so its 14 out of ( 84 - 5 )...

Now here comes what I was thinking of for a while:

1- this board is called a debate and rant board... I'm not standing with one against the other, I'm with every one.. buy why are threads locked ?

2- some one might say that there are higher percentage of locked threads on other boards: my reply will be: those posts are locked after newbies who link a warz website, or crack crap links... but here on this board, the posts are locked after a fight !!! fight between who ?? a fight between active members [-X Is this helping us guys as hackers, web developers ? definitely no !

3- we all come from different backgrounds, based on human nature, people might face each other for their beliefs...

4- All topics discussed on this board are too general ( I respect all point of views ) but lets lessen the damage ! don't you think that's better ?

4- are we humans ? we all have personal problems... why don't we talk about our issues rather than discussing nations' issues... keep this fo the nations, and lets keep our boards clean :)

5- like every human, i love, i care, and we all do, why hate each other...
we all loved some one before... at the moment of reading this thread think of that person, like I am right now... Is it worth to fight for some thing thats not going to solve any problem, rather than focusing on our selves, our loved ones...

who am I to give a lesson to those who are older/more experienced that me ?
but, if change is for every one's sake, then I'm asking the admin members to think of omitting the debate and rant boards, for the sake of every person on this site.

my apologies for this way of bringing the issue up...

I hope that this will be taken into consideration, and i hope that this will be the last topic in this thread ( please one of the admins can you lock it ? )
and hopefully the last topic on the debate and rant board

All for the sake of suck-o cummunity

Live and Learn

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmmm....you're right. the intention behind the debate&rant board was that members that have a problem with each other can discuss it here and figure it out. but this board actually started more trouble than it solved... :roll:

so I agree, this board should be locked...maybe even removed...it simply failed as an experiment... :-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Perhaps the debate part - but what about the rants? I would take offense if I was asked not to rant anymore.
The debate section was meant to break off off-topic arguments in other threads - so now you want to just delete them when they start? They could go to PM or YIM to resolve their issues one on one - but other people might want to defend or argue another's side.
1- this board is called a debate and rant board... I'm not standing with one against the other, I'm with every one.. buy why are threads locked ?
A debate is locked when the argument gets to the point of name calling, insults and no facts. Both sides are allowed to bring their points, and state their case - and then leave it. Not having a debate can lead to confusion of other people's cultures, manners, lives, and country - there have been several informative debates.
but here on this board, the posts are locked after a fight !!! fight between who ?? a fight between active members

It is not the fight - but how people act after. Both sides can accept each others differences and MOVE ON! To not present this, would just lead to clandestine attacks or misinterpreted feelings.
3- we all come from different backgrounds, based on human nature, people might face each other for their beliefs...
We get to know each other through the good times and bad times..
4- All topics discussed on this board are too general ( I respect all point of views ) but lets lessen the damage ! don't you think that's better ?

4- are we humans ? we all have personal problems... why don't we talk about our issues rather than discussing nations' issues... keep this fo the nations, and lets keep our boards clean
All the topics were posted by members, this is a public forum. We have made rules as what to refrain from discussing. But like you said - we are human. We should strive to be better humans, and work out our differences.

I think the debate and rant section is still appropriate. Off-topic section used to host the rants, but since some rants are notable - they deserve their own section. I took time and personal thought to write my rants, as well as Lye and Gog. If there is a specific thread that bothers you - why not delete it, rather than lock an entire section of the forum?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, what about simply disallowing threads about religion and politics? such threads ALWAYS cause trouble, and I guess nobody ever changed his views because of what another one wrote in such a thread anyway... :-k

edit: cats made a good point by saying that it has nothing to do with the board itself anyway, it's the threads that cause trouble. so maybe we should simply watch more closely what threads are started. ranting and discussion is ok imo, as long as no others are the target.
for example:
if I write how much germany sucks for me it is ok, because I live here...others germans might disagree on my views, but the point is that my views are based on my own everyday impressions.
but if user X from the North Pole who has never been in germany starts a thread about how much germany sucks because there was an article in the "North Pole Daily News" it will always be an offense for the german users right from the start...no matter if some of his points are even true.

I have to admit that I also have ranted about stuff where I should better have said nothing, but it's hard not to be cought in such childish "you said my country sucks, now I will show you that your country sucks much more"-loops.....we should avoid such situations from now on by removing threads that are good for nothing but to start trouble. maybe something like a "protest!" rule should be created....when 3 users write "protest!" in a thread it will be locked (or removed).... :-k
Last edited by bad_brain on 16 Jul 2009, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

bad_brain wrote:hm, what about simply disallowing threads about religion and politics? such threads ALWAYS cause trouble, and I guess nobody ever changed his views because of what another one wrote in such a thread anyway... :-k
I totally agree with this. This is one of the reasons on why i dont participate in these types of threads. :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

It seems we've come to a decision. Debate & Rant will remain a board of suck-o, with the banning of political and religious discussion. Also, if three people post "Protest!" in a thread, the thread will be locked, correct?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes. the only exception for threads about religion and politics is when they are in a self-reflecting way ("MY religion annoys me because..." or "the president of MY country sucks because..." for example)...and even then the 3-protests rule applies.

thanks moudy for bringing up that discussion btw... :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Alright then.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...