Hacking a phone line

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Hacking a phone line

Post by floodhound2 »

This is a great video of how to get free power from a phone line and if you think outside the box you can use the same technique to get power from other sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaLGvJkoP8

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I like it :D Nice find!

I wonder how many lines it would take to power a 600w High Pressure Sodium :-k
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sweet.... :D
I would love to test how many Amperes I can suck off my phoneline, I am just not sure if there is a fuse, or better said where the fuse is....in the cellar (which would be good) or outside in some kind of junction box (which would suck, because in case I blow the fuse I would have to call the phone company to fix it...which might lead to strange questions :lol: ).

isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by isapiens »

wow good to know. thanks for the link floodhound2.

I am not paying for a phone line so i don't have one, but does that necessarily mean there is no current on the line at all?

There are seems to be some arguments about how ethical this is and whether you can get in trouble. I found this post while googling, i dont know where its from.

Code: Select all

Letter Re: Phone Line Power for Emergencies

Mr. Rawles,
I found this web page interesting: Free Hidden Electricity.

Essentially this site has provided some basic information on how to tap the small amount of electricity available in our land lines to use for charging batteries or powering a lamp should the power go out (and not the phones) in a small emergency scenario.
Within the discussions that follow the post are some legal and contractual concerns and a link to a retail lamp product you can currently purchase for this application. - Tanker

JWR Replies: There are some ethical issues raised by this Instructable video, since telephone service contracts are not contracts to purchase power--however miniscule the amount. But beyond that, there are also legal issues. If someone were to leech too much of the current from their phone circuit's "on hook", "off hook" or, "ringing voltage", it eventually would be noticed by your phone company. Read your phone company service agreement carefully before improvising or purchasing any such emergency device!

One follow-up post from "Myself" summed it up nicely:

"This might be useful, if it was actually running that big lamp shown in the photos. Phone lines are fed with "talk battery" of 48 volts, and are current limited somewhere between 20 and 80 milliamps. A large portion of that limit comes from the resistance of the local loop, so as your current draw goes up, your available voltage goes down. You'll be able to suck about a quarter watt from most phone lines, if you're lucky.
Of course, going below 600 ohms of loop resistance (your circuit looks like a dead short to the phone company) will cause the switch to think you're "off-hook", which is to say, you've picked up the phone and are ready to make a call. It'll send dial tone, and when you don't dial anything within a few moments, it'll send off-hook warning tone, and after a few minutes of that, it'll disconnect your line entirely and generate a trouble message. This means you lose talk battery and phone service.
Once that happens, the switch will periodically reconnect your line to see if the trouble has been repaired. If you leave your "circuit" (and I hesitate to call it that, did you even read the LM317 datasheet? If so, improve your Instructable [video] by explaining its function!) connected for too long, you'll either get a knock at the door, or simply find yourself without phone service for a long time.
Since this gadget violates about half of part 68 of the FCC rules, you're not allowed to connect it to your phone line. They won't throw you in jail for it, but I'm pretty sure they could confiscate your toys and laugh at you. I'd be truly surprised if anyone levied fines against a clueless kid with a soldering iron, but stranger things have happened. (I am not a lawyer.)
Incidentally, this concept is so old, and so laughable, that telco-powered products are a staple joke in the industry. Congratulations on joining the prestigious ranks of Dr. Drizzlenik and others who've discovered this revolutionary "hidden" source of power!
P.S. A five-dollar solar panel will produce more power, more cleanly, and is portable."
here is the link
http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/10/let ... r_for.html
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.