Scam alert

Fight back! So don't expect to find lame "fake login screens" or similar stuff here.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Scam alert

Post by Kirk »

Well, guys, there is a scam out there that almost got me. It's an elaborate one. Here's the details:

I was looking for a job on craigslist.com when I came across a personal assistant job for an architect. Sounds like a cool job. I sent in my resume. He said he was out of country right now and there would be no interview however he would be coming back in a week or so and would interview me then. Until that time I was hired. He said he would pay me $400 a month for some part time work. He sent me two MoneyGram money orders in the amount of $945.50 each. They were sent to me UPS next day air.

As one of my duties as a personal assistant I was to pay his bills. He asked me to deposit/cash the money orders and western union what was left after I took out the $400 for myself.

I know this scam. As you all know, I'm an ex-criminal. I use to make counterfeit money orders. When I took them to the bank to deposit them the numbers on the bottom of the MO would not read. Meaning they didn't use magnetic ink to print them with. (mistake)

After leaving the bank I called MoneyGram to verify the MO's. I found out that they were cashed earlier this month for different amounts. The MO's were sent to me from MI but the MO numbers were from OK.

A word of caution to everyone. This one was kinda elaborate.
Anyways, someone PM me. I'd like some "advice" and "help".
thanks.

kirk

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I saw this scam on TV also, best is to alert the cops and continue to play along to catch the motherfucker :)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, you need to involve the cops, personally or via laywer (or, if available, parole officer)....if you don't do that you could be blackmailed by the scammer and it looks like you are knowingly a part of their scam system if a prosecutor takes care of them (which will happen sooner or later).

do it asap buddy... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Right the scam is the Bank Deposit scam - they would send you a nice check to put in your bank account, and you are trusted to send them only a portion of the deposit- unfortunately - when the checks are deemed false - YOUR bank account is debited for the bad checks.

See? Your skills in paper-hanging told you why the barcode/mag strip didn't work. Thats the proper application of black hat skills.

You could contact the police - but since your scammer is not in the USA - they can't do much to apprehend the scammer.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Nice one Kirk, many other people fall for this type of scam all the time. As they say, if its too good to be true then it probably is!

I wouldn't go to the police either with your record. They might even think your just trying to cover your own tracks as it is not going to work properly and include you in the set up of it all and become part of a conspiracy. Get someone to talk to with a bad attitude and all you will get is a leopard never changes its spots. Be a bit more cleverer than this if you want to do something good about it. Why not go to the papers and tell them the scam you have found that is circulating in your area and as you are now trying to reform yourself find it in the best interest of everyone if you inform them then they can pre-warn others not to fall into the trap. If the police get involved later and come to see you, then you have done the best you could of a bad situation and if you were doing anything wrong yourself the papers would be the last place you would go. You can then let the police know that if you had come straight to them then you would have been guilty before you had even come to inform them of the scam because of your past history.

This way you aren't going to the police directly and you are saving others from the scam at the same time.... If it was me, the police would be the last people i would go to see but thats just because i dont like them in the first place. This too me would be like being an informant so i would think of other ways of getting my message across :wink:

Moved to Phishing and Spam
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com