DoS Attack

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
MaZe000
forum buddy
forum buddy

DoS Attack

Post by MaZe000 »

no this isn't a how do I DoS question...

I was reading a book and it was talking about DoS attacks. I just want to see if I get the concept of it for understanding purposes.

What I get from reading is that DoS attacks are just they eat away at the availability of the machine like memory or processes to stop the use of programs on that machine.

So these attacks just create worthless memory and run the worthless things they make just to prevent you from doing what needs you want to attend to?

From what I get from these "attacks" are that they have no benefit for the attacker and just made to make your life a bit harder.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

DoS attacks can be different from one another. Like you stated, one can chew up memory space, another can tie up a process by keeping it waiting for a response. Another can just cause a error where the machine constantly reboots. So one DoS tool is not the same as the other, one tool cannot be an all-in-one tool - each has to be matched to a specific vulnerability on the target. DDoS is when you utilize more than one computer to conduct the attack. DoS can be done with one computer.

There are some 'useful' purposes for a DoS attack - Session Hijacking - this is a tactic where an attacker takes over an authenticated session between a authorized user and a secured server. In order for the attacker to pose as the authenticated user - he needs to keep the real host from talking while he redirects the secured server into thinking he is the authorized user.

DoS is also a cyberwarfare tool for military warfare. You either prevent information from being distributed or you prevent it from being recieved by those in command.

DoSing your pals during a online game is not cool. :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, there can be a benefit: taking down a competitor for example.
of course a DoS attack is nothing that can keep a server down for a long time like a DDoS (at least not if the server admin is halfway skilled), and the attacker is much more easy to track.