windows vista black 2009 or windows 7 ultimate?

Problems? Post here...
offshoreposer
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

windows vista black 2009 or windows 7 ultimate?

Post by offshoreposer »

hey guys, years ago i used to use windows xp black and just found that there is windows 7 ultimate out and windows vista black 2009, which should i go for? anyone with any experince with them and advice?

f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

As far as I know, windows 7 is just windows vista, with more features. It's also faster.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I rather not use someone's Black Edition - who knows exactly what he did - I doubt documentation is provided.
You are better off installing Vista, then using supporting documentation to tweak your own version of Vista

And I agree, the evidence is pointing toward "Win 7 is Vistasp2+"
Microsoft is largely remaining silent about what will be in Windows 7, but it looks as if no major changes are in the offing. As I wrote in my blog yesterday, Microsoft has said that it's not developing a new kernel for Windows 7, and it has said that the hardware, software, and peripherals that work with Vista will also work with Windows 7.

Microsoft has said that Windows 7 will include something called pervasive multi-touch. That's a fancy way of saying that you'll be able to run the operating sytem and its underlying applets via a touch screen.
BFD on touch screen apps, just what I need - fingerprints on my monitor!!!

http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_windo ... n_disguise

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I'd go for windows 7 because it isn't as much of a resource hog as vista :roll:

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

DNR that article was posted
May 28, 2008 - 1:47 P.M.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

ok - someone post exactly what is different from Vista and Win 7 - I mean kernel-wise, I mean in a major OS rewrite way.

??
Nothing?
:roll:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

DNR wrote:ok - someone post exactly what is different from Vista and Win 7 - I mean kernel-wise, I mean in a major OS rewrite way.

??
Nothing?
:roll:
DNR
Speed.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

WDDM [Windows Display Driver Model] 1.1 - Microsoft has been able remove the copy of the texture from system memory and operate solely on the contents in video memory. As a result the memory consumption of Windows is immediately reduced, potentially by hundreds of megabytes..The GDI stack has been rebuilt so that the lock is more or less removed. Multiple GDI applications can now issue commands to it at the same time, and this is all pushed off to the video card to be its problem
Now someone can talk technical - I guess we'll have to see if this is just talking about a few milliseconds - since on a laptop I don't see having that many resources in need. For a desktop, though the OS might be the choice over Vista. But, who is to say the GDI stack cannot be updated in the Vista OS :wink:
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/0 ... mance.aspx

Who knows how much that will pay off in real world applications:
"The speed gap between Windows 7 and Vista is 17.1%"

http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows ... 1249687071
--------------------------
Good Article:

Engineering Windows 7: Engineering Windows 7 Graphics Performance
http://www.vista123.net/content/enginee ... formance-0
Without the Windows 7 GDI concurrency, the rendering throughput of these applications is effectively limited to the performance of a single CPU core. Since only a single application can acquire the global exclusive lock while the others are waiting, this scenario doesn’t benefit from multiple CPU cores. This demonstrates that GDI applications in Windows 7 are now much less dependent on one another. This benefit will not need any new display drivers; it will work on any Vista (WDDM 1.0) and newer display drivers.
DNR
-

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

I think it is too late now to get a free copy of win 7, it lasts for like 8 months or something I forget. Windows black you never know what kind of code is in there and preinstalled programs.. Windows 7 ultimate is the best out of all of the win 7 series, and more advanced then Vista, so i would go with win 7 ultimate all day.

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

well since this was brought up again i got that windows 7 ultimate you were talking about it and it much nicer than any vista, but there some compatibility issues with games and printers so far i have noticed but other than that go for 7

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Fellas I dont know the technical differences between Vista and 7 but I think that I recall:

Vista loads Drivers in a serial fashion where 7 Loads them in a parallel fashion. This is a noticeable increase in boot speeds, may be by many factors.

I can say that 7 is better imo. I ran Vista for almost 3 years - Beta tester into final release. I liked it at first but that was when I only had XP to compare it towards. When 7 was released it was not even close to which one was going to dominate. I had to go with 7, Vista is or may end up like ME did. A quick waste of time.