Another strange problem[Computer starts also doesn't]

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Another strange problem[Computer starts also doesn't]

Post by DrVirus »

Seriously b_b you should make me a thread for my problems :D. Well here is another one. I just bumped into an old customer of mine. He bought this computer from me which is showing some really strange errors. I have never seen anything like this before.

First, when you start the computer it's a bit slow. But everything checks out. For some reason the HDD is detected as slave. But I guessed I can fix that. No major issue. The RAM registers the 1 beep post. Then the Windows XP screen appears. U know the first screen with bars under Windows XP logo. And then it restarts. Just like that. No apparent reason.

And the second time it hangs way before it reaches the XP screen. After doing it a couple of times the computer asks for Boot Disk. So I'm guessing the boot sector is messed up. I put in the XP bootable. And run. First it goes in. The files load. Then the search for previous version begins. Now comes the shocker. It tells me, there is no HDD.

I'm breathless right. I take out the HDD plug it in again (it's a sata 160GB) and run it. I'm holding it in my hand. I can feel stuff rolling inside. I check that the HDD is detected and then the same thing happens. Now I can't even get inside my XP bootable.

Any idea what can be wrong ?? I don't.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I guess it might be broken, try putting it in another computer, or run linux from a live cd and see if you can access it. Have you checked the BIOS to see whether it shows up there? And more importantly, don't hold the HDD while it's running! those things are hypersensitive :wink:

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

When I said hold I meant I felt it with my hands. It's running and yes it's being detected else where. Another thing on my mind, if the HDD is indeed corrupt then how come XP loads for even a little bit. I should get a specific no HDD error right ??

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Have you tried running the recovery console from disk and the using the commands fixboot first and if that doesnt work try fixmbr.

more info needed on when its starting and its slow at which point does it hang on?
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I'm holding it in my hand. I can feel stuff rolling inside.
Not good for a HDD - you can take the cover off to expose the platters without causing damage. It just voids the warranty. Perhaps the piece that is rolling around can be dislodged and the HDD can continue. Maybe the peice is jamming the R/W head - thats why it only gets so far, and not a complete "No HDD/bootloader detected"

Test HDD in another computer.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I agree with DNR, test the HDD in a second computer to eliminate fault with the machine.

I ran across a problem with vista not recognizing a DVD drive but all the lights worked, after replacing the drive I found that it was a registry problem that vista has, fixable with a simple regedit.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Also, a problem i had a long time ago with hardware not being detected was caused by the power supply. Next time it detects the hard drive, check to see if it isn't detecting another piece of hardware, like the disc drive or something. If that is the case, buy another power supply that puts out more wattage.

If that isn't the case, the worse scenario then is probably that the drive is bad, and you'll have to buy a new one and install windows.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...