Wireless card issues

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Wireless card issues

Post by visser »

Ok so I am dual booting my laptop. Its got an intel pro wireless b/g/n card in it. I just moved in to college and got my dorm all set up and such but now im starting to notice some issues with my lappy. the wireless connects no problem and has full conection and speed and all that but then she just poops out on me.... It will got from 54mbs to like 1mbs. i tried it on both linux and windows and Im not sure if im doing the linux half of it right but i know that this problem happens on windows.

sooooo

how do i check the speed on linux?
and what could the problem be?

thanks for anything!
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

hmm well you say the wnic works to connect and such - so it is possible its a network issue. You can try trace route and ping to test the network times.

Since its wifi have you checked signal strength and interferance? The windows side - netstumbler or inSSIDer can show both signal strength and interference.

You can also do a protocol analysis - try to sniff the network, discover who all is on the network, do a QoS - see if packets are being lost.

What if the AP you are logging into is maxed out? I am pretty sure every college student in your building is online. Network Throttling could also be a sysadmin fix to prevent downloading on the network.

Check a few things out and get back to us.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

in Linux do:

Code: Select all

lspci
and check if the card is recognized properly... :-k