Three Headed Beast - the hacker trilogy

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Three Headed Beast - the hacker trilogy

Post by DNR »

The Three Heads of a Hacker

Maybe the three heads represent White Hat, Grey Hat, and Black Hat. They are all a part of the same Beast. How can I tell the Story of how I became a White Hat Hacker with out sharing the Story of my Black Hat Being?

If you cut the Black Hat head off the Beast - do you make it less effective in combat, survival? Cutting the head off is denial.

The three heads may very well work together to be the most effective combat weapon there is. You cannot deny one head the assistance of the other heads. It is symbiotic - of hacking.

How can we avoid dividing up the Beast?

DNR
Last edited by DNR on 28 Oct 2009, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

IceDane
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by IceDane »

Seriously man, what are you trying to do? Why on earth are you comparing 'hacking' and being a 'hacker' to a 3-headed beast, and why on earth are you trying to philosophize with some pseudo-philosophic bullshit arguments?

I'm not trying to be mean or shit on your way of thinking, but holy shit if you haven't written some of the most cracked out shit I have ever read about 'hacking'.

Why the urge to define it? Why does it have to be put in a box so you can understand it? It's a word which is used in an attempt to describe how we are and how we think, and even so it fails miserably to cover every aspect. Everyone is different and no one finds the exact same things equally interesting.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

IceDane,
My writing is not for everyone. Out of box thinking doesn't work in everyone's brain. I am sorry this writing does not fit in with your "Hygge".
:wink:

I always get the same critics and more supporters. Remember where you are at. Suck-o is more than a forum to drop off links and code.

When I write, it is inspired by what other members talk about, in PM, in IRC, and in the forum with questions like "Why do we bother to hack, why am I like this, why are other people different from me?"

You need to know your peers to understand this post.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

I wouldn't classify philosophizing, making up useless metaphors and writing things like that as out of the box thinking. I'd call it crazy and unproductive.

It's not for me I guess :)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I agree

Post by maboroshi »

I agree with you DNR :D its the In Yo/Yin Yang of hacking

with the thin line that seperates it "sesho"

*Cheers

Maboroshi

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

leetnigga wrote:I wouldn't classify philosophizing, making up useless metaphors and writing things like that as out of the box thinking. I'd call it crazy and unproductive.

It's not for me I guess :)
I'll have to agree with you this time, I think.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

DNR wrote:Why not let the other members enjoy and discuss ideas without you injecting your obvious need for attention?
This is what I meant before, the personality that seeks attention, the narcissist...
I wasn't mistaken then, only didn't bother to go into further discussion with "Mr. leet" because I know that he keeps on turning in vicious cycles... leading to no where :x
I personally might not like some thing so I keep it to my self. And if I see some thing worth replying to, then its for the sake and benefit of the boards :wink:

leet go seek professional help, your presentation here on the site is an exact mirror image of who you are in the real life, the real community...
narcissists, might also be / have

* Acute Stress Disorder
* Adjustment Disorder
* Agoraphobia
* Alcohol Addiction
* Alzheimer's Disease
* Anorexia Nervosa
* Antisocial Personality Disorder
* Anxiety Disorders
* Asperger's Syndrome
* Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
* Autism
* Binge Eating Disorder
* Bipolar Disorder
* Body Dysmorphic Disorder
* Borderline Personality Disorder
* Bulimia Nervosa
* Conduct Disorder
* Cyclothymic Disorder
* Dementia
* Dependent Personality Disorder
* Depression
* Dissociative Identity Disorder
* Drug Addiction
* Dysthymic Disorder
* Eating Disorders
* Gender Identity Disorder
* Generalized Anxiety Disorder
* Insomnia
* Learning Disorders
* Mood Disorders
* Munchausen by Proxy
* Munchausen Syndrome
* Narcissistic Personality Disorder
* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
* Oppositional Defiant Disorder
* Panic Disorder
* Paranoid Personality Disorder
* Parkinson's Disease
* Phobias
* Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
* Postpartum Depression
* Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
* Primary Sleep Disorders
* Reactive Attachment Disorder
* Rett's Disorder
* Schizoaffective Disorder
* Schizophrenia
* Seasonal Affective Disorder
* Selective Mutism
* Separation Anxiety Disorder
* Sexual Addiction
* Sexual Dysfunctions
* Social Anxiety Disorder

so just for your safety and the safety of ur community "Mr. leet" go seek help
and don't even try to return the words to me like saying... you have issues....
I'm well respected on the site, exactly the opposite to you...
And although I live 1000's of miles away from you, mark my words LEET, you have many disorders from the list I have mentioned above :wink:
so just save your reputation from being covered in the mud... get out of here before your banned or blocked :lol:
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

You guys do know that leaving the topic is rather rude against the topic creator? ...right? But since the topic creator also went off topic to answer a rude "on topic" reply, then I guess I will jump in.

Since the topic creator is a member of staff, I trust him to know when it's time to lock this thread, thus I wont do it. But I want to warn every participant in this thread that if you keep this on, the thread will be locked and you will all be on the naughty list, and santa doesn't like naughty children!

DNR is very "special" in the way he writes. You have to read it from different views/perspectives to understand what he wants to get at. Personally I don't always agree with what he writes, not of the way he writes it, but the content of the text. But I often do enjoy the way he writes it. It's like a little story ; )

Even if you don't like it, try to choose your words a bit more carefull ... there is no reason to be rude or sarcastic.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Sorry if this is off topic, but why must we define "hacker"? People always seem to want to find the "true" definition of it. It's just a word to describe a group of people, and today's meaning of "hacker" is a black hat. It used to mean something different, but things change. Why do you have to label yourself as something? Can't you just use "programmer" or "computer expert" instead?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I guess I can understand some people's indifference to expand the topic of hacking to something beyond machine. They haven't been around them long enough to understand. :-k

You just had to be there when computers first came out - how people thought you were a rebel because you chose a PC over a typewriter. It took faith to stick with computers when people kept saying - "you'll never make money with them." Just because they managed to live their life so far without computers - they just couldn't understand why we felt the way we did about them. We tinkered with them day and night to make them work, we studied them, our life was their life and vice versa. The more computers I built, the more personal each one became.

Just as a master craftsman would have sentimental feelings toward his tools and his creations, you can develop the same relationship with computers. The network of computers lead me to relationships in a digital realm with real GREAT people all over the world. I saw it happen before my very eyes - so yea I am sentimental about the internet, hacking. After all, I am who I am because of computers.

The tools and machines are special to the man because they are extensions of his being - his personality shows in his works. The tools become a part of him in otherways, spiritual, emotional, personal. Some people pretend to weild the same tools - but their lack of respect for the tool shows in their handiwork.

Sure, you can be a coder or computer technican - you can write code and not have any personal feeling on how it should be done. You can build a computer each time, and not care about how neat your handiwork was. You don't have to make it personal.

My personality "DNR" is my works - its not for everyone. It is not for you.

Suck-o is my home, I was here first. When you show disrespect for me, you show disrespect to Suck-o.

and

CUZ I AM ADMIN, and YOU'RE NOT!
Last edited by DNR on 07 Sep 2009, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
-

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

f4Gg0t_43 wrote:Sorry if this is off topic, but why must we define "hacker"? People always seem to want to find the "true" definition of it. It's just a word to describe a group of people, and today's meaning of "hacker" is a black hat. It used to mean something different, but things change. Why do you have to label yourself as something? Can't you just use "programmer" or "computer expert" instead?
Actually you're exactly on topic fag :P
I personally believe that the definition of the word "hacker" or "hacking" is different for everyone. It's mostly the medias fault that hackers are considered black hats or criminals which would be a more adequate word.

I'm more a person who thinks of hacking to be more of a mind set than anything other. And I agree with you on your last sentence.
For example, a person who codes viruses would be considered a black-hat hacker. I on the other hand would consider that person to be just a (malice) programmer.
Another example: A person who breaks into servers. If it's for the right reasons (to inform the server admin about the holes in his server) he would be called a white-hat hacker, and if he is doing it to deface a server he's called a black-hat hacker. On the other hand, I would call the first one a pen-tester, and the second one a criminal.

My point is that if a persons writes programs or breaks into servers doesn't make him a hacker, well at least not in my book. Hacking means so much more than that.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

*cough cough*
www.leetniggaland.com

As Advertised, As Expected :roll:

DNR
-

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

ph0bYx wrote:I'm more a person who thinks of hacking to be more of a mind set than anything other.
ph0bYx wrote:Hacking means so much more than that.
I think your missing my point. I'm saying that "hacker" is just a word, and the definition is whatever the majority thinks, which would be what the media says. Media says black hat, so the definition of hacker is black hat. Yes, it used to mean something completely different but things change. If you call yourself a hacker, people automatically think internet criminal. So why call yourself it?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

F4Gg0t,
I can appreciate you exploring this discussion. But ph0 has the right context.
We are searching for our own meaning to the word hacker - not what the media will chose for us.

The three headed beast was a story (trilogy) - you admit - there is black hat and white hat, and probably agree there is grey hat too. You have to make a personal choice of what you want to do with hacking - do you want to use it for good(regardless of what good is to you) or bad(regardless of what society tells you). The beast is more of a look at your ethics - something that defines what you will do in a given situation, situations that hackers can find themselves into.

I have a three headed beast within me. When someone says "tell me about wardriving" I can think with one of those three heads before I tell them what to do. Next time you are surfing the internet, or on a small LAN, and you just happen to have wireshark handy, - which head will you choose- the 'computer repair technican' head or the 'I want to escalate my priviledges and just peek' head?

Suck-o was suppose to be an obscure webportal where I can be with friends I call peers. The fact that we left the fucking front door open - made it a public forum- was for a careless purpose of seeing what the wind blows in from the WWW. Its a little sarcastic humor, but also a little bit of hope of finding new, productive members like you.
Why the public still continues to wander in here and complain about what we do inside this obscure little portal on the WWW is whats crazy So believe me - I don't define 'normal' by what those fools says :lol:

I only wish you will keep an open mind about the symbiotic relationship between man and machine. Someday as you wonder "Why" you are doing CIS/IT stuff, you might think of reasons that have more to do with personal feelings than a title or a buck.

DNR
-

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

I'm just wondering why you continue to use a word to define yourself, that the media has corrupted. The original meaning is gone, why do you still use it?