Comparison GMA X3100 and actuall graphics card

All about graphics, sounds, etc...
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Comparison GMA X3100 and actuall graphics card

Post by DrVirus »

Hey guys need a little advise. See I want to play this game called the Prototype and the requirement for it is, DirectX 9.0c compliant card with 256 MB 3D hardware accelerator (NVIDIA 7800GT/ATI Radeon X1800 256 MB or better) and support for Pixel Shader 3.0.

Since I wanna play on my lappy, I have a GMA X3100 and according to our friendly neighborhood wikipedia, it's
The GMA X3100 is the mobile version of the GMA X3000 used in the Intel GL960 and GM965 chipsets. The X3100 supports hardware transform and lighting, up to 128 programmable shader units, and up to 384 MB memory. Its display cores can run up to 333 MHz on GM965 and 320 MHz on GL960. Its render cores can run up to 500 MHz on GM965 and 400 MHz on GL960. The X3100 display unit includes a 300 MHz RAMDAC, two 25-112 MHz LVDS transmitters, 2 DVO encoders, and a TV encoder. In addition, along with the latest drivers, the product supports DirectX 10.0[10], Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.0. The latest Windows XP drivers only support OpenGL 1.4.
So if I actually acquire this 7 gb mad game !(Using obvious means) can it work ?? I mean any experienced gamer can tell me ??

Oh and if this one's supposed to be in the hardware forum then sorry, I couldn't make up my mind and had to flip a coin. (Damn tail !) Please feel free to move it.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, the GMA X3100 meets the minimum specs for the game, but I don't think playing will be fun...shared RAM is always a bad condition for gaming. but if you have at least 2 GB RAM it might be worth a try, but of course you will have to lower the game settings a LOT in order to get a halfway decent frame rate.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Damn ! I can't risk a 7gb down time on that. Can I attach a G-card in a lappy ? I mean i have experience of Desktop assembling but I have never done a laptop before. What do you guys think ?

I have little or no knowledge about this though.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

What he said.. It'll depend on your RAM - that is something you can buy and install yourself. Laptop makers didn't expect users to swap out graphics cards and processors. It sounds like the game is going to graphics intensive and mobile laptops are not the best choice.

http://www.bizwaremagic.com/best_gaming_notebooks.htm

The Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q708/Q706
"First laptops to incorporate THREE powerful NVIDIA GPUs,
including 1GB of discrete DDR3 graphics memory" 8O

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

You forgot something mate, $4,749 that's the price. Now by my currency, it's 4,749*50 INR. I will be broke just to think about it. I think I will stick to Prince of Persia Warrior Within. Even though it's the third time.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

:lol: you got to pay to play. Now, it would be cheaper to build a desktop machine to play games wouldn't it.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

As B_B said it doesn't have any vram. That means it will be really slow and reduce the amount of free ram. It'll also block the memory bus so other memory requests have to wait, which makes it even slower

I'd say it isn't worth the time, if you're lucky you might get 5fps at extra-hack-game-low settings :wink: