hey i have a question [Going into business]

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
bozotheclown138
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

hey i have a question [Going into business]

Post by bozotheclown138 »

so i just my car and well now i need to pay for gas money so i put a ad in the paper for removing viruses, my question is. is it ok that when i remove viruses is it legal for me to use programs that are free for noncommercial use? or do i have to do it completely manual? by the way im 16 and no one else is in this thing im doing so i figured im not considered a business or anything right? haha

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I've removed viruses with free tools for years and never run into legal issues over licensing... the problem you have in the US is if you make money and don't claim it on your taxes... avoidable by working for cash =)

bozotheclown138

haha alright thank you and yup i am aware of that its if i make 3000-5000 dollars a year then i need to pay taxes for it but thanks again

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Don't forget - if you want to play like the big dogs - you play by the rules.

1. By representing yourself as a business, you assume liability for your business - just like if the person went to Best Buy Geek Squad or Joe's PC repair. You can get sued by a unsatisfied customer, just like they do.

2. Your customers are going to have a problem entering in a contract with you - a minor. If you register a business licence with the county - you'll have some legitimacy, and since you are sole owner - they can't sue your parents. (not that a court will find any sense in an adult for entering a contract with a minor - reason- a minor has no asset to sue for)

3. Anyway you want to go about this, you need to treat it like a business - have a contract that states exactly what you will do (customers will expect you to make their old 486 hardware into a gaming monster running Vista) , you have to be specific about limitations on backing up customer's data and restoring it back to its original working state. Anything that is not in writing can be used against you in court.

4. Not sure on what 16 year olds have to worry about on filing taxes (someone is claiming you as a dependent on their taxes bro)

Have fun venturing into the world of residental computer customers and helpdesk service. Don't plan on doing that stuff for a long time :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bozotheclown138

haha thanks for the advice DNR and yeah i know about the sueing and such that's why im only going to do virus removal keep it simple and i figure what most people struggle with ill be able to remove and a guy on HH is releasing a nice tool that can help me out with no company or use restrictions behind it