Utrace - Visual Traceroute - pretty accurate

Stumbled over a good link? Post it here... (the board is flushed regularly)
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Utrace - Visual Traceroute - pretty accurate

Post by DNR »

Utrace visual traceroute English and German
http://en.utrace.de/

Works very well - other trace routes were off by a whole state, this one got pretty close to me! 8O

In the Links Section too

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Not bad compared to others i have tried.

This probably had me around a mile and a half away but was at least in the right area :lol:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

actually I have detected at least 4+ sites from my ISP every time I login. I get a new IP every time, but really I get IPs from a select group of IP ranges as those are for my area.

IP-Adresse: 75.219.59.14X
Provider: Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
Region: Dayton (US)

IP-Adresse: 75.218.73.18X
Region: White Lake (US)

IP-Adresse: 70.212.58.13X
Region: Grosse Pointe (US)

IP-Adresse: 75.218.178.13X
Region: Port Clinton (US)

All of these are at least 30+ miles from my exact location.

The ISP firewalls its internal network of customer IPs, traceroute will end at the facility providing the Internet access to its customers. There they translate the external IP to the customer's MAC. (this shows how a cable user can be spoofed btw*)

Also consider the network is not all cabled. Your internet traffic can be routed over various network topologies, landlines(twisted pair/coax), fiber optic (backbone), microwave, RF(between buildings), satellite and cellular towers. The ISP you use has leased lines, shared colocation facilities, as well as its own personal network. The ISP is only interested in getting your packets there the cheapest way. If its cheaper for them to bounce off a satellite for a overseas convo, rather than using the fiber optic cables under the sea- they'll do it. Any lag you detect might be the ISP barely meeting their QoS - but you are their sucker of a customer like everyone else right :wink:

*a cable TV network is just like a cabled network - each neighborhood- a network segment, all the houses on the block have drop lines connected to a hub. You can see traffic that is announced on the hub, meant for other customers. If you spoof a customer's IP and MAC (of cable modem) you are 'assumed' to be that customer - and allowed access to the cable network as that user. Check out new neighborhood being built, you will find a green box (or grey, smaller than a telco box) - there all the cables from the new houses/condos will tie into a network interface box. They do this because its cheaper than having a network interface box on each house - the house/condo just get a cable end.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.