[Solved]Own "version" of Debian?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ayu
Staff
Staff

[Solved]Own "version" of Debian?

Post by ayu »

Now, I don't really have that much time that I will be able to build my own distro, but modifying one sounds more reasonable.

How would I do to create a modified version of the latest Debian release? I need a newer kernel to install it on my netbook. And the Ubuntu netbook version is so full of crap so modifying it is starting to get rather annoying, so I thought id do it properly instead this time.

Well honestly I can't say for sure that the kernel is the issue, because the Debian installer can't find my NIC so it can't continue the install (it's a net installer).

The space that the install method supports on the USB-stick is very limited, thus the need for a net install.

Does anyone have a clue? Or maybe there already is a newer build of Debian with a newer kernel, like a dev version that is stable enough to run.
Last edited by ayu on 15 Sep 2009, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I managed to solve it with the latest build from this month ... but if someone still wants to answer the initial question, then go ahead ;)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, you can either edit sources.list and add the testing branch ("experimental" is a little too risky), that way you can install the newer kernel version as regular debian package. but of course you can also compile your own kernel from the sources: http://www.kernel.org/

the good thing is that you can still boot into the old kernel in case of problems... :)

p.s. when using the debian package method better not run apt-get upgrade after apt-get update, because else ALL packages will be updated...which often leads to problems, and I also don't know how stable the testing branch is yet.