Scope

Questions about programming languages and debugging
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

lol.. Why would IceDane argue with himself in that programming debate thread.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

p4inl0v3r wrote:Lets get back to the topic folks
It's already been answered, the scope of a variable is when that variable can be used. In other words, the scope starts when it is created, and ends when it's destroyed. It's hard to give him an example to understand it if he doesn't know a programming language.

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

f4Gg0t_43 wrote:
p4inl0v3r wrote:Lets get back to the topic folks
It's already been answered, the scope of a variable is when that variable can be used. In other words, the scope starts when it is created, and ends when it's destroyed. It's hard to give him an example to understand it if he doesn't know a programming language.
I understand what a module and function is now.. no matter what language. Did I want to take this class? No, but im going to soak up all the knowledge I can in it.

IceDane; I cant step up to the plate? I have stepped up to bat many of times and will continue too (Not only on computers and programming). You have a bad attitude and are probuly one of those people that think they are right all the time. Whatever, we have a difference of opinion, so leave it at that. This topic has been answered, I appriciate everyones input and I will move on to the next chapter.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

Lol, Icedane's just trying to help you ^^

Understanding programming is much easier if you actually program. If you're just learning (and writing?) pseudo-code you won't be able to try things out and see if they work. Trying out a real language won't hurt you, so I suggest you do it. You will not learn the basics faster or better with pseudo-code.

I didn't understand a thing when I read 'learning java' until I actually started coding. Variables, scope, functions, classes etc... Everything will make more sense if you learn how to use them.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

IceDane is trying to help you, not hurt you. Listen to what he says.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

You asked for an opinion and got a realistic answer.

Hope you take the information passed and take heed to your current situation!!!
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

hackerdude wrote: You have a bad attitude and are probuly one of those people that think they are right all the time.
Yes, yes I am. ;) In fact, I would say that there's nothing wrong with thinking so. If I believe something is correct, it is truth as far as I'm concerned. If I'm proven wrong, however, then I'm proven wrong.

Either way, I'm just an elitist bastard.

Re: Me = Leetnigga. Well, 1) I have talked to him in a PM a couple of times. 2) Arguing with myself would be pretty damn strange and 3) I know gogeta70, heh.

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

Lundis wrote:Lol, Icedane's just trying to help you ^^

Understanding programming is much easier if you actually program. If you're just learning (and writing?) pseudo-code you won't be able to try things out and see if they work. Trying out a real language won't hurt you, so I suggest you do it. You will not learn the basics faster or better with pseudo-code.

I didn't understand a thing when I read 'learning java' until I actually started coding. Variables, scope, functions, classes etc... Everything will make more sense if you learn how to use them.
Do you think the US Airforce is stupid? Their computer science dept developed the Raptor software. Most of the people on here probuly dont even know what im learning about, it is public information now, Raptor is a flowcharting software which you can make a flowchart and see the results in another screen. So the "Psuedocode" im learning, i can actully see it run as a program. So the class I am taking is completely stupid right? continue to have your own opinions and I will have mine. I would rather be able to just jump in and learn a programming language but it is not up to me. Im positive this course has positive attributes or it would not be there.

And yes icedane, im sure you are also one of those people that can never be proved wrong as well, and probuly very stubborn.

Wow, all of this just because I ask a question about programming? this forum is pretty wild

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

hackerdude wrote:
Lundis wrote:Lol, Icedane's just trying to help you ^^

Do you think the US Airforce is stupid? Their computer science dept developed the Raptor software. Most of the people on here probuly dont even know what im learning about, it is public information now, Raptor is a flowcharting software which you can make a flowchart and see the results in another screen. So the "Psuedocode" im learning, i can actully see it run as a program. So the class I am taking is completely stupid right? continue to have your own opinions and I will have mine. I would rather be able to just jump in and learn a programming language but it is not up to me. Im positive this course has positive attributes or it would not be there.

And yes icedane, im sure you are also one of those people that can never be proved wrong as well, and probuly very stubborn.

Wow, all of this just because I ask a question about programming? this forum is pretty wild
Nono, it is rather because you come here asking questions about programming, whilst clearly showing that you are very new at it, but in spite of that you still go on making statements about the best way to learn programming when you have no experience in it. That's pretty much it.

And don't blame the forum. I'm the only one who's been the least bit aggressive.

EDIT: And oh - it's not up to you? Really? All the programming I have done is exclusively self-taught.

hackerdude
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hackerdude »

NONO iceydane, you have been attacking me pretty much this whole thread except for the beginning. I think it had to do with me not knowing C++ , its nothing to do with learning styles, you made it into that type of conversation and im ending it. I will no longer post in this thread it is a done topic. If it makes you feel good to have the last word then go ahead and be the ass that you have been the whole thread so far.

also your qoute "
Nono, it is rather because you come here asking questions about programming, whilst clearly showing that you are very new at it"

well what do you think? people learning something new dont ask questions? I came into the "Codeing" forum asking a programming question. What is your problem with that?

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

hackerdude wrote:also your qoute "
Nono, it is rather because you come here asking questions about programming, whilst clearly showing that you are very new at it"

well what do you think? people learning something new dont ask questions? I came into the "Codeing" forum asking a programming question. What is your problem with that?
That isn't the whole quote, maybe you should reread his posts again.

"Nono, it is rather because you come here asking questions about programming, whilst clearly showing that you are very new at it, but in spite of that you still go on making statements about the best way to learn programming when you have no experience in it. That's pretty much it."

He is not attacking you, he is helping you, but apparently you can't see that. I think you're the stubborn one who doesn't want to be proven wrong.

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

I guess I was wrong - he is stupid, not ignorant.

Ah well. There are bigger fish in the sea of the internets to help.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hmm, things got a little out of hand here...
Let's sum it up and close this thing.
Hackerdude, you asked a few questions and got answers (as far as I understood). Some others here just gave you an advice to try and learn a programming language to understand what you're doing a bit more.
You have to understand that IceDane is, as he calls himself, an elitist. Whether it's a virtue or a flaw I don't know, but the more important thing is that what he was trying to do is only to help you (in his own way). And I'm pretty sure that his last post wasn't meant to be a direct insult because he knows that that kind of behaviour is forbidden here.

I believe that's settled.
Topic closed.

PS: A stupid person wouldn't even bother to ask a question in the first place.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

*double locked - do not open*

The only way people can make good use of the collaborative environment of a public forum is to be open to what everyone says. It is a take it or leave it deal. To bring personal POV into your posts, means you have to accept others POV - you brought it up first.

Personality runs high on this site, everyone take a breath.
and get back to hacker zen.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.