some router issues

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

some router issues

Post by moudy »

Hello every one :)
lately I have been messing around with my old router and trying to figure out the password on it. My problem was/is that I can't reset the router coz I would definitely lose my settings, and my ISP is such a pain in the back I don't want to go into contacting them for reconfiguring my router...
So I got another spare router my friend has ( model DI-524 ), and reset the password...
Now my problem is, I cant actually connect to the internet.. I actually have the info from the old connection via ipconfig/all, like mac address, DNS, etc... I messed a lot with the configuration settings but nothing worked, the router simply tries to connect, but nothing works... :roll:
Can any one who knows in configuring routers help plz :D
and thanks in advance :wink:

My end goal is to set one of the computers in my lan to DMZ, and start messing with apache, basically set a home based server O:)
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

in order to help more - we need error messages and screen shots of your router interface page so we can check the settings.

You can use tools on your windows box to view your IP settings for DNS and gateway. Print the ipconfig of one computer so we can match for the router interface.
Since you replaced your router - the computers you have mayl still be trying to connect to the old one.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, isn't the router connecting to the internet or isn't the PC connecting with the router? in the first case it must be the ISP settings, in the latter case make sure the NIC is configured to use DHCP (should be the easiest way)...if you want to use a static IP and not DHCP make sure the settings are equal on the PC and on the router:
- gateway IP
- netmask
- IP range (router and PC have to be in the same network range, like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, using different ranges like 192.168.0.1 for the router and 169.254.246.1 will not work).
check if you can ping the router to see if there is at least a general connectivity... :wink:

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

ok, I got some snapshots of my screen of the things you asked me about, so here we go

first of all I did and ipconfig/all and ping for the old router ( the one I don't have access to ) and the one that I borrowed from a friend, and can't configure to access the internet
old router:
new router:
as for the screen shots of my router interface page, this is what I have
the set up wizard
wan configuration page
lan configuration page
DHCP configuration page
advanced tab page

the router says its trying to connect, and that it, nothing else happenes.. i have no error messages, no nothing :roll:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

whooo! thanks for the info - it'll help.

ipconfig of YOUR COMPUTER
IP of machine :192.168.1.64
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 <<<<<<<<

OLD ROUTER SETTINGS
gateway 192.169.1.254
DHCP and DNS 192.169.1.254

NEW router
bad mask/IP (your PC has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 <<<

NEW ROUTER IP 192.168.0.1 <<<<<you have changed the subnet IP range

default gateway 192.168.0.1
DCHP server 192.168.1.254
DNS server 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.254

Change submask to 255.255.0.0 on PC
Any thing that is not addressed to the sub network of 255.255.255.0 will be dropped. Because it is on your local network you can still discover the device.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

i tried to fix / trouble shoot all what you have mentioned to me DNR :( but it didn't work :roll:
its not an emergency to have it configured, only trying to learn how to.
I though it was an easy thing, it seems that im too new to this domain... any way, ill keep on researching about it :wink:
thanks any way guys, you are of gr8 help :D

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

That is the same router I have laying here. All I did was turn it on and bingo. Hum...

...Can you reset the ting by using an unfolded paperclip. Then pressing the paperclip into the small hole for a minute. Try that. I will do screen shots tomorrow if needed.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

I did restart the router, and tried to connect it to the internet, didn't work...
Afterward I posted my issue with the router.