setting up a linux server

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

setting up a linux server

Post by Kirk »

I have this old amd computer i want to set up as a linux server and would like some advice on how to do this. I want to practice some xss and rfi on it. please explain it like i am a little kid because i am entering an area i have no freaking clue about - servers.

start with what software i will need. if there is any particular hardware i should get. how to set it up online. all of it.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the good thing about servers is: you don't need much hardware.
a HDD, a DVD drive, a NIC and a very basic g-card is already enough.

first of course you have to decide what Linux distribution you want to install....and guess what: I recommend Debian :lol:
it's especially good when you don't need multimedia-gimmicks on a desktop, or run a littler older hardware.

ok, now to the install:
you can either start a download-a-thon and get the full DVD image(s), or you get the network installer. the network installer contains only the basic system, the rest is downloaded during the installation process.
you can get the network install CD image for Debian Lenny here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/
(you said it's an older AMD processor, so get the i386 image).

the install itself is pretty straight forward, as beginner I recommend to simply use the beginner options (install "all in one partition").
when the basic install is done you will be prompted for additional packages you want to download, I only recommend the "web server" package for the start...if you REALLY want a graphical desktop get that one too, but don't get the "database server" package because Debian uses PostgreSQL by default...once you are ready I will show you how to install MySQL instead.
notice: to pick the packages you want to install mark them by pressing <space> and when you have picked all press <enter> to start the install procedure. most people (happened to me too) press <enter> in order to mark the packages when using the installer for the first time....which starts the install instead... :lol:

ok, that should be enough for the start, simply ask when you have further questions... :)

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

Why MySQL instead of Postgres?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

because MySQL is the de facto standard at the moment, and I wouldn't able to help him much with the config of PostgreSQL because I am into MySQL.
PostgreSQL surely has some advantages compared to MySQL, but they don't matter for a beginner that simply want to set up a home server and not get into database development.
MySQL is easier to manage for beginners, and especially on old "weak" hardware the performance of MySQL is much better.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

Oh yes, the popularity argument makes sense when he's exploiting.

He didn't say anything about SQL though.

Your instructions look good.

Good luck Kirk.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

leetnigga wrote: He didn't say anything about SQL though.
well, yeah, whenever someone talks about "setting up a home server" I automatically think about Apache/MySQL... :lol:
but well, he also talked about RFIs, and RFIs without PHP and a database server are kinda pointless...at least I have never heard of RFIs in HTML sites.... :wink: