How to recover deleted data from SIM memory?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

How to recover deleted data from SIM memory?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

If you have a sim card of any company, if there any tool (software) available for recovering deleted data like deleted SMS, files, contacts, etc???
I have heard of such tools (hardware), but not of software.
I am currently using a tool called as "MOBILEedit Forensics", but that doesn't recover deleted data.
Pls help.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Google suggest

Code: Select all

http://www.data-recovery-mobile-phone.com/mbl/sim.html

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

lilrofl wrote:Google suggest

Code: Select all

http://www.data-recovery-mobile-phone.com/mbl/sim.html
hmm... I had seen this b4. R u sure, it doesn't require any hardware to do so? Can I recover directly frm my phone? Im using Nokia 5800 XM
Learning NMAP

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

First I'd like to say that no I am not sure, however they claim "Data recovery support to all major sim (GSM) service providers"

Also a USB SIM card reader is required for the software, I bought one at Walmart for a little under 20$

They offer a demo version that will show what can be recovered off your card, download it and give it a whirl I'd say.

I think it should be noted that locked information is next to impossible to recover off V2 or G3 sim cards, but that disclaimer does not apply to SMS, phone books and the like. I can go into more detail on that if you need.

Good luck mate =)

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

You need a hardware for that. Sim card readers are available from $20-$70.
I dun hv, ill buy if necessary.
Learning NMAP

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I messed around with my V3 motorola phone, there are cracking tools to download the info on the phone, but you have the risk of 'bricking' your phone - the phone is always in contact with the provider - if they see mods, they can kill your phone!

The V3 cellphone plugged into my laptop - it was used as a cellular modem. Then I downloaded tools from a forum for V3 phones, to be safe, all I did was download files off the phone and did not upload mods to the phone. The site itself warns you that you can brick your phone if you get caught or even mess the firmware.

The cellco's policy is you fucked it, you buy another phone or pay the termination fee.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

or hacking a old phone, yep done that - but you have to worry when you reconnect it, the cellco first does a integrity check..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Back before the V1 swap I got into cloning cell phones, it was a simple process because the older chips allowed an infinite number of bad request to the microprocessor opening up brute force attacks as a viable way of getting the key.

After the release of the V2 and later the 3G sims however the process became difficult, and by difficult I mean that you get three tries to identify the key before the sim bricks itself, and the chip is in contact with the network for all attempts.

Basicly the process works as follows:

A SIM chip is made up of three memory banks, one RAM (8KB), one ROM (346KB) and one EEPROM (256KB) which are all controlled with a 16bit microprocessor.

The phone begins by asking the network to look up the information connected to the IMEI and ESN numbers.

The network sends a data packet to the phone for authentication and authorizes it for use on a specific network (roaming phones forward request back to the known network)

The phone queries the SIM with the authentication request storing the request in RAM.

The SIM moves the request to the microprocessor which calculates the response.

The microprocessor compares its calculation to the information stored in the ROM.

Then calculates the data and pushes it to the EEPROM (readable with the card reader)

Then it formulates the response and sends it back to the network for verification.

If everything matches up, the network send provider information to the phone along with a new key to authorize the SIM.

To clone the SIM you would have to read both the ROM and the EEPROM (the ROM being unreadable by todays SIM readers), and also be able to read the algorithm of the microprocessor... which also is not readable with todays SIM readers. The kicker being that after three bad request the microprocessor shuts itself off, and the SIm becomes useless.

Another problem is that chips are modified and switched out all the time by different providers, so the microprocessor in one chip isn't guaranteed to be the same as a second chip, even from the same provider, which in short means that just because you can clone one chip doesn't mean that you can clone another chip... or even the same chip again actually.

Anyhow, this post is starting to bloat, and it's about time for bed... hope I got all the pieces right :wink:

See you guys tomorrow

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

[more bloat]
*Man, you have to waterboard lilrofl to get the good nfo*
@lilrofl nice post there.

Field Test Modes for cellphones:
http://digitalnomad.suck-o.net/DNR/red/ ... tModes.pdf

I agree that cloning phones is not as easy as it was in the early days. Now cellcos use propriety codes - not to stay ahead of people that clone phones but their competitors. You also mention the different chipsets, yep - batches can run out, old chips can be rewired, all kinds of lil tricks used by the manufacturer of the phone itself.

Once you find out what version of OS you are running, the chipset version, etc there are plenty of forums and sites that discuss the finer details of the phones operation. Don't go into these forums and ask "how to crack" your phone without this basic information.

http://www.hackthev3.com/
http://www.hacktherazr.com/
http://www.motox.me/

There are a lot of spam sites and questionable sites on cellphone unlocking and hacking, lots of ads and redirects - so beware!

DNR
-

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

DNR wrote:[more bloat]
*Man, you have to waterboard lilrofl to get the good nfo*
@lilrofl nice post there.
lol, thanks =) we just happened to stumble across an area I know a bit about, and at a time I had moment to write more then a few lines :wink: