Linux on an old windows 2000?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
packrat

Linux on an old windows 2000?

Post by packrat »

I have an old windows 2000 that I want to use as a linux server is this possible? If so what would be the best distribution? I have heard that installation can be rough. sorry for being a super nube but i need everything from a-z on this. :?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, do you have some more system specs? like the CPU type and amount of RAM? I have used an old Pentium 2 box with 368MB RAM as home server for a long time (with Gnome desktop)...of course it was not really fast (the desktop I mean), but still nicely usable.

but if you want to really get into Linux servers and are willing to spend time with learning you actually don't need a desktop environment, and then even really old hardware is good enough....but if it's a "designed for windows 2000" system it should be much better than my old system (which was "designed for windows 95" :lol: ).

I always recommend Debian as operation system ( http://debian.org ), it's very stable and well supported by a huge community, the install is not harder than a Windows XP install (when you chose the guided install/beginner options)... :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Debian was also the first linux OS that i installed too and i highly recommend it. If you like learning then go ahead, dive in head first :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

you should also try the ubuntu its a great linux installation for beginners...

packrat

windows to ubuntu

Post by packrat »

I am installing ubuntu right now. is there a way to totally take windows off of my computer after i install ubuntu? it seems like i could free up a lot of memory if i just got rid of it.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I've never used Ubuntu, but most linux install wizards ask you how much space you'd like to allot to Linux... for example. Mandriva ask if you would like to use free space on a previous Windows partition, use the whole drive or custom partition. In this case choosing the option that allots all space to Linux erases Windows in whole.

Hope this is of some cross distribution help, good luck =)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

is there a way to totally take windows off of my computer after i install ubuntu? it seems like i could free up a lot of memory if i just got rid of it.
um, I guess you mean to free up HDD space, Windows occupies no RAM when you've booted into Linux....except you run Linux on a virtual machine on Windows.

but sure, you can simply delete the Windows partition and reassign it to Linux, a real great HDD managing tool is gparted, it's most likely already on board of Ubuntu...if not you can easily install it by:

Code: Select all

apt-get install gparted
:wink:

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

bad windows! tsk tsk tsk!

windows will not eat up your memory(RAM) when your running linux cause like a light bulb that is switched off windows is off when using linux. it will only use the space on your disk that it has consumed upon its installation.
so, were which memory are you talking about here? memory pertaining to RAM or memory pertaining Hard disk space?

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

you should also try this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/xubuntu

this is Xubuntu, a derivative of Ubuntu for the less powerful computer.

to download Xubuntu click here

happy nuxing!