Programming Language to go further in.

Questions about programming languages and debugging
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Programming Language to go further in.

Post by maboroshi »

Ok so I see a lot of questions what language to start in etc etc.

Well I have been programming almost 12 years now, and its starting to become boring. I am not perfect at programming, but I wanted some honest opinions, is it time to move away from the wonderful world of Python? (I haven't been studying Python 12 years keep in mind) Any advice on the next step?

*cheers

Maboroshi

z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Go for C# or VB.Net OR the best way is to learn some web related languages. ASP.Net, PHP, Ajax, etc...
I have learned VBScript and ASP in just 1-2 months and currently learning PHP.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

And also, it depends on what you want to do further...
If you want to make softwares or such things, then surely got for VB, Java, C#, etc...
If u wanna make some web designs, templates, or such things, go for web languages. Web languages are not programming languages. Like when someone is programming in VB or C#, he is called as VB programmer. But u won't hear someone calling as HTML programmer or ASP programmer. They are not programs.
Remember, web languages are always a best choice if u dunno whr 2 proceed. Just for show off... they r good :P
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

I would wholeheartedly recommend not doing any of the things said above. They're boring and you'll be doing the same old shit, just in an other language.

Instead, check out languages like these:

Haskell
Forth
Scheme
Prolog

These are all very different from the standard model that is "procedural / object oriented" which you see in C, C++, PHP, Python, Perl, Javascript, Visual Basic and shell scripting languages. That is not to say that those languages don't have any interesting features, but I think it'll do you good to learn something else.

Learning any of the above will give you an other way of looking at things.

Try these free books/tutorials: Learn you a Haskell for great good, Starting Forth + Thinking Forth, How to Design Programs, Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs.

No links because I'm in a hurry.

I'll update this later. Good luck!

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Re: Programming Language to go further in.

Post by moudy »

Maboroshi wrote:Ok so I see a lot of questions what language to start in etc etc.

Well I have been programming almost 12 years now, and its starting to become boring. I am not perfect at programming, but I wanted some honest opinions, is it time to move away from the wonderful world of Python? (I haven't been studying Python 12 years keep in mind) Any advice on the next step?

*cheers

Maboroshi
Maybe c++ would be the best choice for you, coz its and object oriented like python, in if you know python well, it shouldn't be difficult to learn it.
But why do you want to leave python ??? :roll:
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I agree with leetnigga, try something completely new such as the languages he listed :P

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Assembly, and C are my recommendations. Want to make worms use Assembly and overwrite the stack. C is portable and powerful.
:wink:

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

I was going to say what leetnigga said - there's this saying that goes something like "Don't learn a new programming language unless it changes the way you think about programming."

Almost all of the languages listed so far are multi-paradigm, but can mostly only be OO and procedural. You should take a look at the languages leetnigga mentioned, as those will completely change the way you think about programming. Or well, all of those except forth at least, not sure about that one, but wiki says it's procedural.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

IceDane wrote:Or well, all of those except forth at least, not sure about that one, but wiki says it's procedural.
Forth is stack-based which makes it very different. Go through one of the books I mentioned or find some other examples and you'll see what I mean.

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Agree with floodhound, try assembly, or another low level language, so you can understand more about what exactly is happening.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

i know you well mab, you're lost again dude, come and have a chat with me on yahoo sometime

P.S. I have learnt prolog, got bored as piss, go for it if your idea is to fool around writing logics you would never use in RL, anyway thats my opinion, i have no plans in ever going to Artificial intelligence and even if i do, i'd go for something more interesting than prolog. Assembly is cool though.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Alright

Post by maboroshi »

Alright well I decided to get in to some theoretical programming. I will look a bit more into Haskell also

but for now I am hoping to learn as much as I can about QC

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux ... quant.html

There is a python module I found that emulates the quantum computer. Some features of emulation would be different on a quantum computer.

Anyway thanks for all the advice

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

So, since I posted the replies above, I started learning haskell.

After writing it for only a few days, I have to say: Go learn it. Now.

The 3 most used languages today(probably) C, C++ and Java(not necessarily in that order), are all multi-paradigm. Well, java does force OOP on you, but it still doesn't keep you from writing procedural code. C++ is only OO if you choose to write OO code in it.

Haskell is a purely functional programming language. This means that most of the time, you're pretty much writing the solution to the problem, not writing the steps to solve the problem like a computer would/has to do it.
It has changed my view of things(I'm still pretty elitist about knowing about stuff before using it, but I understand better why some languages might be better suited for first-time programmers).

It is seriously fucking awesome. What I love(and hate, but it's a thin line anyway) about writing code in it is that I'm still making stupid errors caused by simply wrong code. The language is so different and new to me that I don't understand it fully yet.
If I were to go learn Java, right now, knowing C#, C and C++, I'd not be learning a new language. I'd learn a few rules about the structure of your basic program, and then the greatest challenge would be to look up the classes in it to find out what functionality I have access to.
While that is certainly a part of learning all languages, including Haskell, and a part of what makes a good programmer(How much you know you have access to by heart), it's different with Haskell, as it's a complete shift in paradigm.

I could go on and on, but I'll just sum it up by saying: If you want your mind blown, learn Haskell.

leetnigga

Post by leetnigga »

Glad to see you took the leap IceDane. I hope you'll convince more people to do so. Haskell is indeed pretty awesome and learning it is a very rewarding experience.