Cracking BIOS

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Insection
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Cracking BIOS

Post by Insection »

My little brother recieved a lenovo S10e laptop from school but those bastards put too many restrictions. Sometimes google gets blocked using my home wifi.

What i need is to get into the administrator account, and i cant do this without knowing the bios supervisor password.

The bios is phoenix i dont know what version, ive tried some stuff with command prompt using debug but it still didnt work.

Ive googled for programs that would work but they all need admin privelidges.

Yep im in a sticky situation,

Help? :D

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Is it windows XP? If so you can gain system privelages by using the at command:

Code: Select all

at 15:00 /interactive cmd.exe
Once the time hits 15:00 (or the time you put in) it will run a command line with system privileges. From there you can run any program.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Insection

Post by Insection »

sorry forgot to say, windows 7

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Ever thought about re-flashing the BIOS?
Here is the update and download section for your lappy BIOS updater.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72939.html
Not saying its a sure thing, but I'd give it a try ;)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

not sure if this counts but i know on a PC there is a jumper on the board to reset the BIOS and the password to it. I think it may only be for the BIOS logon password though.

If that isnt right then wouldnt it be possible to run a linux live distro or a backtrack distro and DL the sam hash. then just run it through a rainbow table.

Insection

Post by Insection »

lilrofl wrote:Ever thought about re-flashing the BIOS?
Here is the update and download section for your lappy BIOS updater.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72939.html
Not saying its a sure thing, but I'd give it a try ;)
that could work but, "This progam is blocked by group policy"

Once again we need admin

and kirk is there any software to help me with that?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I am sorry but I don't see how this has anything to do with BIOS!
The BIOS is boot firmware, designed to be the first code run by a PC when powered on. The initial function of the BIOS is to identify, test, and initialize system devices such as the video display card, hard disk, floppy disk and other hardware. The BIOS sets the machine hardware into a known state, so that software stored on compatible media can be loaded, executed, and given control of the PC. This process is known as booting, or booting up, which is short for bootstrapping.
BIOS wont grant you root, admin or anything else! :oops: BIOS wont allow you to gain /not gain access to the internet!

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I agree Floody, I just figured there was an option in the BIOS to enable an internal WiFi card.

No matter really,. can always boot with a live CD and get interwebs that way :D

Insection

Post by Insection »

floodhound2 wrote:I am sorry but I don't see how this has anything to do with BIOS!
The BIOS is boot firmware, designed to be the first code run by a PC when powered on. The initial function of the BIOS is to identify, test, and initialize system devices such as the video display card, hard disk, floppy disk and other hardware. The BIOS sets the machine hardware into a known state, so that software stored on compatible media can be loaded, executed, and given control of the PC. This process is known as booting, or booting up, which is short for bootstrapping.
BIOS wont grant you root, admin or anything else! :oops: BIOS wont allow you to gain /not gain access to the internet!

Is there any alternative to get access to bios??

Once i get into bios i can boot with a password recovery cd and get password for admin.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

you know - since the school had to 'mass produce' all these laptops for the school - each with a security password to lock it - the school somehow has to keep track of all those pwds, that means they did either one of two things -

1. they picked a password based on each laptop's serial number - this way any school IT tech just has to flip the laptop over and read the serial number and he now has the password for that laptop.

2. they used the same password for all the laptops - its less secure - but at least the school IT tech doesn't have to figure out what each laptop's pwd is.

3. Its possible the laptop can boot from a USB, the school IT tech can all have USB keyfobs that acts as the universal key for any laptop.

So, the funny feeling I got - look over the laptop and look for logical password choices they might have used. It is even possible they wrote the pwd inside the battery cover with a black lite ink.

One option is to remove the HDD and put it in another laptop with BIOs that will allow you to boot to CD. You might also test and see if the laptop allows you to boot from a USB. Good luck, keep hacking. BTW when you were given that laptop by the school you probably signed a "Electronic and Internet Policy" so any modifications to the laptop is a violation (its not your laptop remember?)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

While you have the HDD out and installed on a PC just take it from there and hack it. You should no longer need any password to do anything on it because you are not using the windows that is stored on it. It is now a slave drive and the files are open to your perusal.

arnt windows passwords stored in the kernal so in order for the password to work windows has to boot. If you are able to stop that then you should be able to get around most any pasword.

I would still use a live CD like Linux Live or backtrack. Its the simplest way.

Insection

Post by Insection »

Yes why didnt i think of that, so im going to remove the hard drive and switch it to another laptop and hack it from there.

Thanks guys ima try this and tell you the results

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

should of went with kirk's first suggestion w/ the linux livecd business.
changing and swapping the HDD puts it at risk of being dropped/damaged or fried by static electricity or if you have a cat you know how they love electronics..not saying your unskilled in handling hardware but accidents happen.
pop in linux live cd let it boot up & insert a flash drive
go to the sam file folder and drag it onto the flash
safety eject the flash so you dont corrupt the .sam file
take it to your regular box & if you have cain and abel which you should crack it with that

to make the crack time shorter look into how long/short passwords have to be if their case sensitive, etc. will save you alot of time on cracking & viola, you has the PWDs for the pc without all the work of removing the HDD
\:D/
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

hey nightkid - good idea on the bootdisk - but the BIOs is set to prevent people from booting to a disk. So to bypass that problem - the HDD is going to be moved to another laptop that WILL allow the user to boot to a disc.
Any problems with ESD can be mitigated by proper handling and some catnip.*

*keeps the cat busy

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

DNR wrote:hey nightkid - good idea on the bootdisk - but the BIOs is set to prevent people from booting to a disk. So to bypass that problem - the HDD is going to be moved to another laptop that WILL allow the user to boot to a disc.
Any problems with ESD can be mitigated by proper handling and some catnip.*

*keeps the cat busy

DNR
HAHAHA, good idea, I always wondered how the pros kept the cat out of the business :lol: