Network help

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Network help

Post by Stavros »

Ok, so I set up my soon to be IRC server, but I've hit a snag and can't figure out what the problem is. I set up SSH so I can ssh and not have to jack my dad's monitor everytime I need to change a setting.

Here's my problem. I set up SSH and can log in via LAN IP or my dynamic dns. However, when I'm in the server I can't ping any websites or do an apt-get to install fail2ban. What do I need to do?

Figured this might be helpful:

/etc/network/interfaces file:

I can ping router, but not google:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Tried to ping another IP address? Might be a DNS issue.

Try with google, 209.85.229.104.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Okay I finally got it fixed. Had to run this command:

Code: Select all

route add default gw 192.168.1.254

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

Stavros wrote:Okay I finally got it fixed. Had to run this command:

Code: Select all

route add default gw 192.168.1.254
I've been bitten by this a few times before, each consequent time not remembering what the solution was :P

Good thing you got it sorted.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

in testing network connectivity its best to think of two things - the gateway and the DNS. The gateway is your connection to the internet, the DNS is the name resolver to find computers on the internet.

If you can't ping a target by name www.google.com , try pinging by its resolved IP (like cats said) - if it works - it means the gateway works, but the DNS does not.

On the same token, if your computer is able to resolve names into IPs (watch the ping - you'll see it resolve the name into IP) but not able to connect - then it points to the gateway being down.
Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.169.104] with 32 bytes of data:
If the internal IPs work on the LAN, but no internet IPs, again, a possible gateway issue.

If no IPs work, then it points to more of physical network issues. Cable or settings on the NIC or router.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.