RFID BE GONE~! [RFID EMP/ESD nfo]

Stumbled over a good link? Post it here... (the board is flushed regularly)
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

RFID BE GONE~! [RFID EMP/ESD nfo]

Post by n3rd »

[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

wooow this is really nice am in love with electronics am gonna build one :D once i understand how i do it
cool post n3rd
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

hehe, I made a hard drive wiper when I was younger out of a strobe light and a copper spool.... bringing back the memories, one post at a time lol.

Food for thought though, I have an RFID tag in my passport, that passport is in a spun aluminium carrier so as to avoid passive scanning. I'm not sure I'd want to fry that chip though, it really does make my air travel more convenient, also I'm not sure what the reaction would be if you brought a passport up to be scanned, and it didn't have a working chip in it... perhaps they would just type the number by hand, or perhaps they would take you aside for some questioning concerning a possibly fake passport.

Maybe working out a smaller model and zapping my brothers passport on New Years would be ok though... sibling rivalry never ceases to amaze me :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I can't believe hackaday whined about a certificate warning for
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/sta ... _77f3.html :roll:

The basis for this works that RFID chips use an antenna to obtain power to work, over power the antenna - you fry it.
It generates a strong electromagnetic field with a coil, which should be placed as near to the target RFID-Tag as possible. The RFID-Tag then will receive a strong shock of energy comparable with an EMP and some part of it will blow, thus deactivating the chip forever.....Then we ran several tests, each time loading the capacitor to a higher level, before closing the curcuit.
When loaded to about 100 V, the RFID-Zapper was able to destroy the RFID-Tags placed right next to it.
You see you only need 100volts - ESD can run up to 30kv, humans can feel static electricity shock at about 3kv - so this means you could even rub your shoes on the carpeting and charge yourself up and blast a RFID chip! (most are protected with a sheild to prevent this - but you could make contact with the antenna)

This is sort of like defacing websites - it has no purposes except to harm the card holder.

Besides the flash bulb device, you can make a smaller one - take apart one of those 'jet engine' type butane lighters - the sparker device creates about 3kv shock if you click it on someone or something. (voltage could be higher - the human body can detect ESD @ 3kv)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.