Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Internet with ubuntu

Post by l0ngb1t »

am starting to use linux ubuntu
and am having several problem
#1: i don't know how to configure my internet connection each time i boot with ubuntu i get "cable unpluged"
#2: when i need to ue the root i type the command su it ask me for the password, i enter the password but i get : auth.. failed
but the same password work with sudo -s
so is there any default password for the root???
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

I assume you're using Ubuntu 9.10 because it has a bug in Karmic.Have a look at the bug here : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/438771

This happened to me weeks ago,so i switched to Fedora 12...Wich I'm fucking loving it 8)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, the root pass is the one you have set during the installation process.
check the logs for hints about what causes the problem:
/var/log/auth.log
/var/log/syslog

:wink:

Dltr

Post by Dltr »

silly Question about Linux !

I am also using Ubuntu 9.10 , and as you all know it has his Own Software Center called of course ( Ubuntu Software Center/Store )..
And my Question is :
Is that right that every type of Linux such as Fedora 12 , Ubuntu etc has his Own Software Center which It can be used to install and remove software packages and to add repositories !

Thank You
Dltr

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the "software centers" are just GUIs for the package management tools....so the interface can maybe look a little different in every distro, but for the package management there only a couple of different of flavors:
Debian and most of the distros that are based on it (Ubuntu for example) use dpkg, everything that is related to Red Hat (Fedora for example) uses rpm, besides those big 2 there are just a few smaller ones like pacman (Arch Linux).
the repositories are of course not interchangeable, even when 2 different distros use the same package management system.... :wink:

Dltr

Post by Dltr »

Thank You Bad_Brain ...

You led me to very useful Informations