Both
100%

Total votes: 3

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Mac BOOT Camp question.

Post by waringers »

Well, I just bought a new Macbook (the ones with intel) and I sort of miss being on a pc ( actually I'm dying here, should have bought a pc lol) and I was wondering how smoothly and fast windows vista, or xp is on a mac. I heard it's really fast on a mac, but I dont want to purchase a copy of windows then regret it later. Any help from someone who has done it or knows more about it. If yes, which should I install, xp, or vista? Thanks in advance :D
Share what I know, Learn What I dont.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I can't say anything about the compatibility or performance of Windows OSs on Macs (simply because I would rather drive a garden fork through my foot before buying one ^^ ), but when you have enough HDD space: why not using both? ok, you most likely will have to install Windows first Mac last, because the Windows bootloader will never find Mac, vice versa the chances are better....but it's worth the effort imo, because maybe getting into MacOS will interest you in real Linux... :mrgreen:

so my vote goes to: Windows 7 AND MacOS....Win7 because XP is too old for the good stuff in life like gaming, and Vista simply sucks.

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

i agree with B_B
i vote for Win7 + macOs
Win7 is way to powerful then XP when it come to graphic...
and yes Vista suckkssss you can put it with windows millennium :P
those 2 are... well it's better not say it :P
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

An interesting question, and I'm gonna have to go with the previous posters... especially the part about the garden fork LOL.

I still use XP for gaming, but I don't spend a lot of time doing that these days, school gets in the way it seems... on the other hand I have witnessed windows and macOS working well together on a mac... although I think true linux is the way to go if you're of a mind to dump windows all together.

Addendum:

Just a thought, and I'm not suggesting it, but people who use macOS frequently hae the same problems that windows users have when switching OSs... chances are if you're patient enough you'll like what ever you settle down with more then any other... if you're taking the time to learn a new OS to proficiency though again I think Linux beats the rest hands down
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

Thanks alot guys, I guess I'll go with what you guys tell me, probably know a lot more than me, and yes I hate macs too, but I needed a new computer, and one of my friends offered me a macbook for 200 dollars, so I couldn't refuse.

visser

Post by visser »

idk man before you go hateing a mac take a chance to get to know it for a few. Its different in the way it works yes butttt the way it runs is very very interesting!
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

Well the reason I dont like it is becouse I cant use the programs I would usually use on my pc. if Macintosh was my first computer, i would probably like it.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

i was the same way, mac has a program to do anything windows can do..just have to know where to look for it. if your just wanting to play games, install wine. mac can run any unix/linux application.
if your wanting to run a copy of windows on your mac i HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest downoading parralells desktop, it will run windows in a window or u can make it run on a seperate desktop enviroment..i've used it for quite a while and i have no problems with it.
it runs windows VERY smooth, like if it was on a dedicated computer and it doesnt lag your system running both OSes..really user friendly to boot it just open parallells and just exit and its done, no long drawn out process or rebooting required. if you have them both running and put in a cd or flash drive it will ask which OS to load it onto.
i have a copy of tiny XP on paralells with minimal visuals, etc. just for performance because i just use it when i absoluetly need to, i dont need all the bells and whistles.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

Ya I looked in to those, they do seem preatty usefull, and its worth having a mac because you can run windows apps but dont have to worry too much about viruses when browsing the web. But apperantly hackers are now going for mac users as well.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Win 7 is not yet supported by bootcamp, neither is vista I think.

XP works fine, but if it is regular stuff u do on windows I suggest u use either VMWARE FUSION or Parralels.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

Windows seven is not supported by boot camp yet, but vista is. And yes i decide to not use boot camp, too expensive if done legaly. And too dangerous if done ilegaly.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

just use VM ware, it works pretty solid for me, no need to install the drivers for wireless and stuff. saves u alot of time and pain.

Vmware 3 is " free" if u search right :)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

LOL :D :lol: