Script Kiddies

Our very own fight club!
waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Script Kiddies

Post by waringers »

I just kinda got to thinking after being in a lot of sites, I noticed that everyone always makes fun of skiddies. I bet everyone on this site was a skiddie once, or still is for that matter. I mean ya its annoying when they claim to be a hacker, when really they watched a youtube video. But I mean, everyone has to start somewhere, and come on, they cant all be proffesional programmers from the age of ten just because they like computers. No kid is going to download or buy a programming language from the beggining, I mean I still like to mess around with script kiddie programs once in a while. If anyone here can claim that they were never a script kiddie, and started making their own from the beggining, you let me know, otherwise, whats all this stuff about, script kiddies deserve some respect too dont they? :? Just wanted to say...
Share what I know, Learn What I dont.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I was in to computers and networking even before I knew what a hacker was. I don't even think they used the word hacker then.
I think it is possible to start learning something and not approach it in a skiddie way.
Take for example, learning to drive a car. Now you can be a skiddie about it and buy the cool racing gloves, and smoke the tires on your mom's car by shifting into first gear at 4,000rpm. Or you can take the time and learn to drive by doing the basics, learn how a car handles, learn to take care of the car, learn to drive various roadways.

With computers, when I started, there was no clans, or forums, or hacker places to hang out at first. At first the groups were college kids, professors, adult technology people - and you can't bullshit geeks. So there was no motivation to 'pretend' to be someone else, or poser.
You might be able to fool some people with the racing gloves, standing next to your mom's car - but in the computer forum, its so technical - its harder to bullshit.

Some skiddie behavior I think is unavoidable - now you got younger and younger people online, and while some are smart, many will be children.

Whether a person stops being a skiddie and advances to the next level - that could depend on personality, or discipline.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Script Kiddies

Post by 3XTORTION »

Yes,of course.A mentally retarded person that claims to be a hacker just because he compiled a public exploit and 'hacked' random targets for no vaild reason deserve some respect.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I think this is a difficult topic because under the definition that a script kid uses precompiled programs to achieve results without skill [paraphrasing off wikipedia] doesn't really cover all of what script kid means to me.

I don't really see anything wrong with using precompiled code. I think it is improbable that anyone can accomplish any computer 'hack' without one precompiled program or another, and I also think it highly unlikely that the user of said program knows how it, and all of its dependencies works in every case.

Example, I read a book on iptables, it sparks some research into iptables and I end up setting up a custom table to practice a new skill set. After that I want to test my firewall, but I don't really know how to do that yet so I have to read some more, and learn some more. I find hping2 does the job and so I learn that... the cycle continues.

I don't know how hping crafts the packet... and to tell you the truth I'm not really that interested, it's outside my scope of interest... does that make me a skid, according to wikipedia it does, but I don't know all the ends and outs of my OS either, so maybe *that* is were it starts.

Now let's say I got mad at person X because he took my place in the top 10 hackers list, and so I went to google and searched for dos program downloads, then took said download and started a dos attack against the person who I was mad at... then i went around telling everyone how uber and l33t I was... well you get the picture I think

The devils in the details you see, one example is positive and the other is negative... as i see it, it's as simple as that.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

a script kiddie is hard to define, like it's hard to define exactly what a hacker is. i use pre-compiled code here and there but i don't think that makes me a script kiddie, with the programs i use, behind the pretty little GUI i know what's going on in a nut shell. i can follow bits and pieces of programming languages but i dont know enough to write my own programs so i use others for my deeds and "level" my programming knowledge in my down time.

a script kiddie to me is someone who knows ABSOLUTELY nothing of what is going on behind the scenes of the borrowed programs or even atleast know binary,hexidecimal,the OSI model. they think you click this button and it magically does this. they can probably hack a myspace or a msn or clever enough to hide a trojan and give it to their girlfriend but if you ask them to break down the process of any of these things they give you a blank look and either..
A. won't tell you because it is "secert l33tzur haxor" stuff
or
B. fail miserably trying to explain using technical jargon and are quickly called out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

well some of the skiddies decide to go further and deeper in computer, networking and hacking because they find they have the will to learn and become pro, those are the skiddies that you can respect
but many skiddies they care only abt stealing e-mail addresses and FB accounts for silly reason, well i don't know what to do with those :wink:
they have low mentality, low skill and low ambition...

i started as skiddies and i admit it but with time i found how magical is knowledge and i decided to go further so i started to learn abt networking and programming and so on..., am still not a pro and need alot to learn but am working on it

if you are a skiddies who decided to break his limit and go deeper then you deserve the respect
but if all what you care about is stealing e-mail and do some silly stuff the it's better to find something else and stop wasting your time... :wink:
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

The skiddie mentality isn't limited to hacking/computers. It's all around us. You hear people say "as long as it works, I don't care why" all the time. Now, no one can learn how everything works. It's more like an attitude towards things. Some people simply show an unwillingness to learn things, I don't think they deserve any respect.

I stopped being a skiddie years before I got into computers, so yes, not everyone started out as a skiddie.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

don't confuse "skiddie" with "beginner"......everyone surely started as a beginner, and most likely also everyone had a phase in his beginnerhood where he was interested in oh-so-malicious stuff. but if you are serious about learning about computing topics like RFIs, trojans, etc., will get boring after a short time. but a person I label as "skiddie" actually isn't interested in computing, his only intention is to be "malicious" and "dangerous" and how much he can show off with his limited knowledge.

being a beginner is a phase and no shame at all, but being a skiddie is a state of mind and disqualifies you from being taken serious... :wink:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I totally agree with bb here, just want to add that even some of the beginners and maybe even a bit more advanced people use/used those skiddie tools too, and here those people usually get confused to be skiddies (and that's probably why you think that everyone started as a skiddie), but they use them to learn something from it whatever that might be, and not to brag around etc. like the skiddies.

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

Well, I think I agree in part (most part) with long bit, and in part with b_b, and phobyx. I do think that there must be something to spark someones interest in computers, as long bit said. And if they decide to go deeper and learn real proggraming, and hardware, they do deserve respect. And like b_b and phobyx said, if a person brags about being a "hacker", when really all he knows is how to download a program, click some buttons, and "break into" a persons computer, it gets me mad (to say in a nice way).

But ya, I think most people think of skiddies, newbies, and beginners as the same thing, thats why I was getting confused. I dont see how people can make fun of, and despise a beginner is they were one at one point. I think beginners should be pointed in the right direction, and helped, Thats why I dont see why people on the internet degrade them, I personaly think its great that younger kids have an interest in computers.

But again, like b_b said, if all they want is to cause problems, and get involved with illegal activitie, its preatty stupid and annoying. And I actually never really thought of it the way DNR stated, I suppose a person can get into computers without being a skiddie, but people label skiddie and begginer as the same thing, which is what I wanted to bring to light. And just to say, my interest in computers was sparked by skiddie tools aka. trojans, worms, viruses (etc). :D

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

you can usually tell a skiddie from a beginner by talking to them.skiddies are hot headed and think they know everything or learned what they needed for FB, myspace etc and don't want to pursue knowledge.
a beginner will be curious and question how something works rather than take it as is.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

no, that was a good point to make P4,

You are right people will copy and accept answers given to them. Skiddies do that.

A hacker would have noticed the discrepancy - and questioned the authority of C, as it was wrong according to logic.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I will never be a hacker! However;

I take things apart, drink beer and make things out of the things I took apart.

I love marijuana but don't smoke it much anymore but still can fix anything.

Everyone calls me to fix there technology related problems and I get into bar fights.

I have had a computer sice 1980

I don't run Linux much but I program operating systems.

I have to take sleeping pills to shut my brain down!

I am suck-o
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

aaww... Floody's normal... just like the rest of us :D

Sometimes I wonder... what with the aliens and all :P
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

waringers
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by waringers »

Wow p4, that was really rather good way to illustrate the difference :D . I get what you guys mean and I totaly agree, I thought when you guys called someone a skiddie, you refered to them as a beginner and were making fun of them for that.