Cannot delete a folder on my computer

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Cannot delete a folder on my computer

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

I downloaded Titanic the other day because of all the hype from Avatar and I've never really seen Titanic, anyways when I was choosing where to save it, I tried to save it as D:\Movies\Titanic\Titanic.mp4 but instead it saved as D:\Movies\Titanic\Titanic.mp4\Titanic.mp4. Okay so no big deal, I just have a folder called Titanic.mp4, so I move the movie file out, and I try to delete the folder called Titanic.mp4 and it keeps giving me an error saying "Used by another program or person". I tried restarting my computer but it still doesn't delete. It's very frustrating for some reason. Can anyone help?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

That because the file is being used by another program. Try turning off media player or what ever is accessing the file. Typically you can not read from a memory address and write to it at the same time.

The reason it wont allow for you to "delete" after a reboot is because its being started at a new boot. Try msconfig to turn off the things that are starting when the computer boots up.

To msconfig go to start -> run -> type msconfig. A window pops up click the start up tab and un check all that you wish. Reboot and wala

If all else fails reboot in safe mode.

It could be malicious code embedded in the file
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

CentiZen

Post by CentiZen »

Actually, there is an easier way to deal with it if it is only that one folder that you are having trouble with. Programs can manually switch the "InUse" flag in the filesystem off, it's only a boolean value so there isn't all that much to it. This is a good program to use for this:

Code: Select all

http://download.softpedia.com/dl/87921dfc5ff89f8f835106441e9daff0/4b4961f7/100068439/software/system/unlocker1.8.8.exe

visser

Post by visser »

just tryed that and its totally legit lol worked ery well. thanks citi and its good to have you on suck-o!
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

it is likely the folder contained a file in use as floodie said.

You can also use process explorer to locate and shut down the program, then try the removal of the folder.

Welcome to the Forums Centi

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I would hesitate downloading more software CentiZen and visser sine this is a easy problem to fix. Besides since when was software smarter than people.

You have to realize that nothing is "Free". Just be careful 1/4 of computers in the world are infected some way or another.

:wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

visser

Post by visser »

I was thinking about what you had said some more recently floody and thats when i realized why i didnt hesitate to just download some damned software lol

In linux when i need to delete a file its very easy to do. Sudo is my friend. I like linux a lot more than windows because of how easy it is for me to understand and use. Windows however has never really gotten along with me. I am currently only using windows because my computer is so old and hardware so funky that the kernal crashes when I try to instal ubuntu. I would try and fix it but at this point i mise well stick with windows since so many of my programming classes have nothing to do with it and require me to use visual studio :/

could do a virtual box but at this moment with how many projects i have going on its just easier to stick to windows and use some cheap program to help me lol

thanks for the protip tho mate
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

CentiZen

Post by CentiZen »

floodhound2 wrote:I would hesitate downloading more software CentiZen and visser sine this is a easy problem to fix. Besides since when was software smarter than people.

You have to realize that nothing is "Free". Just be careful 1/4 of computers in the world are infected some way or another.

:wink:
I am well aware of the implications of downloading an untrusted file, however seeing as this is from a trusted download site, as well as being a program that does not use the network or contact outside sources (I use this program all the time with a very stringent network firewall, so I know this for a fact), I would say that this is a favorable alternative to mucking around in the processes or msconfig.

To each his own I though, if you prefer to do things manually, by all means go ahead. I'm just providing this file for him if he chooses to use it. But I can assure you that this is in no way infected, or I would have detected it long ago.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

My only reason not to have the person download another program, is to make sure the user knows how to fix the problem. There is little educational value in using a quick-click app to fix common problems, it kind of breeds the behavior of "nevermind, just fix it" - which is common in society.

Floodie is right - software is not smarter than people, depends on the person! :lol:

Another note: if you are having problems with your computer, the last thing you need to do is download another program on to it. It can overwrite a sector you might want to recover, it can make changes that take you further away from the solution..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.