your favorite book?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

your favorite book?

Post by Kirk »

while i was on my 'trip' i read A LOT. and i would have to say that my most favorite book is written by dante alghieri. The series is called The Divine Comedy. In particular I enjoyed the first book of the triad, The Inferno.

I also highly enjoy Marque de Sade.
The classics are always nice to read also. As for newer books I love fantasy and history books. I will not, i repeat, will NOT read crime books. heres a short list of the ones i like:

The Wheel of time by robert jordan
The name of the wind by patrick rothfuss
Dune

and im tired so im going to bed. later

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I don't read books much - just data-sheets. I did just fuinished these two and they were pretty good.

The Incredible Universe
Seriously you're joking Mr. Feynman
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I read a lot of older non-fiction. I just finished On War by Carl Von Clauswitz for the 2nd time. Next book I plan on reading is The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.

This copy:

which I will probably follow up with this book:

Some other theorists and authors I am interested in right now is Niccolo Machiavelli, Jean Jacques Rousseau and John Locke. Mostly material related to social theory, freedom and monetary systems.

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

Asking one's favourite book can be akin to asking their favourite movie or song..it's pretty hard to answer.

So what I'll do it this: I'll tell you the most recent awesome book I've read and recommend highly.

Illusions - Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

I have the .pdf version of this approx. 72page book on my hack-wolf domain. If anyone wants it, just shoot me a PM.

A fictional book that's always stuck with me is The Last Book in the Universe.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

3XTORTION
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by 3XTORTION »

I'm currently reading "The God Delusion" for the famous atheist Richard Dawkins.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Hmm. I have several favorites, but I'll have to say Dune since it's incrediby detailed. Don't talk to me about any of the Chapterhouse or anything his son worked on. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist. Brian shat on the lore by bastardizing it.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

No I'm not favourite book. :D

Just kidding. I'd have to say Crime and Punishment.
Sprich mit mir!

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

3XTORTION wrote:I'm currently reading "The God Delusion" for the famous atheist Richard Dawkins.
I am going to have to get this book!

Sounds like a good read is it "dry material" or more suited for people that have a short attention span?
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

floodhound2 wrote:I am going to have to get this book!

Sounds like a good read is it "dry material" or more suited for people that have a short attention span?
It's an extremely interesting book, because of the controversial nature of the topic and I highly recommend it.It doesn't need any Biblical knowledge,and it's very easy to read although some chapters are a bit more scientific.

The book is not only preaching to the Atheist choir, but to all those who are truly open minded enough to form there own opinions about God and religion.

This is a brilliant and inspirational book and deserves to be read by as many people as possible. Although unlikely to be read with fair minds by religious believers.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, my all-time favorite is 1984 by George Orwell. the movie is really good, but nothing beats the book....I have read it 4 or 5 times, in the issue I have there is a newspeak vocabulary attached, I had a lot of fun using it in real life ("wow, that's doubleplusgood!")... :lol:

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

bad_brain wrote:well, my all-time favorite is 1984 by George Orwell. the movie is really good, but nothing beats the book....I have read it 4 or 5 times, in the issue I have there is a newspeak vocabulary attached, I had a lot of fun using it in real life ("wow, that's doubleplusgood!")... :lol:
Haha! I did that, too!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

1984. That was a fantastic book. another good one by him is animal farm.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Marque de Sade... for real? I can't eat cordon blu anymore... vivid imagination for the lose.

On the other hand, if you can get through that without falling into a comma, The Prince is very good, and just as dry... perhaps even more-so.

I nominate Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, just happenes to be fresh in the mind (saw the movie yesterday)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

i enjoy reading anything by hunter thompson, i have a nice collection of his work.
another goody is the turner diaries, basically a group of racist over throw the government.
i started reading the neuromancer by william gibson, a couple of older hacker culture books refer to this book that it formed the image of the "new hackers" refering to the cyber punk gig
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/trenchcoatskrilla/biohazard.gif[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

"Where Wizards Stay Up Late" - nice cronology of how the internet was born.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.