Illegal Windows 7

Problems? Post here...
svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Illegal Windows 7

Post by svyatko »

Hey what's up,

Quick question, IF I download windows 7 from the internet, the windows .iso itself is genuine, right? What I mean is nothing was added to it to make it work... But the Illegal "Windows Activator" makes it Illegal.

Also what is the probability that the Activator is going to be some virus/ rootkit / trojan / keylogger that will install on windows?

I guess what I am saying is, if it is a virus/ rootkit / trojan / keylogger, would that mean that it would be mostly impossible to detect?

Bear with me here,
Thanks!

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

In my opinion I would say the chances of it to be a virus/rootkit/trojan/keylogger would be dependent on the source you're downloading from. No it would not be impossible to detect. I believe that would be dependent on several factors. One being if it's a known signature, how the computer acts abnormally, etc.

Alien1
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Alien1 »

99% if not all PRE activated copies of Windows 7 are infected, so I would never download any of those, MS itself has direct download links to genuine copies which can be trialled for 30-90 days with the rearm code.

I recommend you download it from them, then install AV and a good firewall like Zone Alarm Pro , once you have that done I recommend the activator, because any of them that require Internet access are not going there to download anything you want. If a activator want to start with system startup or wants access to the net then it most likely is infected, and you should abandon that install. I have tested some activators on VM and some will not install anything, its a way for you to figure things out also.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Alien, i have to say that you're wrong. Someone who isn't me has downloaded plenty of copies of windows, usually through torrents. That someone has only come across about 2 copies that were infected with some sort of virus or something like that.

Generally, if you torrent a copy of windows, just read the user comments about the torrent. If a lot of people are saying it's clean or not infected, it should be ok.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

My general rule is that if its off the "world wide web" then there is a high if not huge probability that its infected. Unless you pay for it then you have half of a chance that its infected.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

Thanks for the replies,

I don't have a pre-activated windows 7, so that should be fine.
Also I got the patch from a trusty source :wink:
So I don't think I have anything to worry about.

One more question, can the patch stop working?
Or if I have activated it successfully it will work for ever...

Thanks.

Alien1
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Alien1 »

gogeta70 wrote:Alien, i have to say that you're wrong. Someone who isn't me has downloaded plenty of copies of windows, usually through torrents. That someone has only come across about 2 copies that were infected with some sort of virus or something like that.

Generally, if you torrent a copy of windows, just read the user comments about the torrent. If a lot of people are saying it's clean or not infected, it should be ok.
Just because others have downloaded it and SAID it was not infected does NOT mean it isn't, anything can be binded to it especially if its already activated. there are many versions out on the WWW that are infested and if scanned will not be picked up by many AV companies. If you want the original you have to go to the makers source,MS does offer downloads that are genuine, and then from there one can activate.

@ svyatko, yes MS can have your activation ruined by implementing an important update, so at most I would say update before and then disable, at the moment i haven't seen them work hard at this, as most of the time they want you to get so used to the new OS that one day when it is unpatched by them you may go run out and buy a legit copy or key.But I wouldn't worry the hackers and crackers are always a step ahead of MS anyhow.

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

I see, thanks Alien1.

So I wouldn't be able to access windows to retrieve my files if such an update was released, or access windows to install a new patch? I'm not really worried because I would just put in a linux CD to retrieve my files, but my friend (for whom I also Installed windows 7) wouldn't know what to do.

Also, in general, how often do these updates take place?
Just so I know when I'm pushing my luck. :lol:

Thanks.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Alien1, this isn't the debate forum so i'm not going to continue debating this with you. It's more of a matter of belief anyway.

f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Anything with over 100 seeders is usually clean. 99% is way off. The OS I'm on right now was pirated, and it is clean, I really doubt it was because I was one of the lucky 1%.

Alien1
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Alien1 »

gogeta70 wrote:Alien1, this isn't the debate forum so i'm not going to continue debating this with you. It's more of a matter of belief anyway.
Right and I gave my opinion , you were the one to start the debate, just because you said I was totally wrong made me reply to what you said. In any matter I could careless if you or anyone else decides I am wrong, since in my line of business I know what gets added. Its up to the original poster to decide what he takes away from my posts, if I have saved him some grief then he gains something.In our labs we test some of these illegal download on Virtual Machines just to see what they do to AV/Firewall software and you would be surprised what comes packaged with these downloads. Not saying there aren't ones out there that will be clean and devoid of nefarious program adds. But hey its people with open minds that tend to learn allot more then people who just stick to their own opinions. No disrespect to any members who have a different viewpoint, isn't this what these places are for? LEARNING from others?

@svyatko,
There are ways to get all your files transfered if it so happens that the system would get locked, but never have seen MS lock all files and folders. If it does happen I would just have ready a LIVE LINUX CD to boot from and then you can transfer your files with no problems at all. Just be prepared to have your Hard drive partitioned or have an external source ready.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Alien1, are you saying that i'm insular? That's not right, i am a fairly open-minded individual. However, there is a difference between just rejecting what people are trying to teach you and rejecting incorrect information.

This site is all about learning from what others have to teach, but it's the job of everyone here to make sure that the people that are trying to learn are getting the right information.

I don't deny the fact that there are operating systems out there on torrent sites and the like that are infected in some way, but like i said before - a torrent that has a lot of comments that say it's clean, usually is. It also happens that torrents like these generally have a lot of seeders, because a lot of people downloaded the OS to be able to comment on it.