New internet problems.

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

New internet problems.

Post by Lyecdevf »

I live in an apartment with multiple people. We all connect to the internet through router. O.K. So far so good.

Now a couple of days ago we got a new internet. We still have the old one because the old one is on cable and the new one goes via the telephone line. In fact I want to keep both...any way when I connected a few people on the new internet some people had problems including my self.

I use Ubuntu. At least for the moment I have Ubuntu installed on two of my computers. I have a laptop and desktop PC. Now the desktop pc which has the same version of Ubuntu as my laptop is not going to connect to the new internet while my laptop works fine now but even the laptop had problems recognizing the new internet.

When I first pluged my laptop into the router/modem that the ISP provided I managed to connect to the internet but the connection was incredibly slow so that the technician had to come over and check this out. He realized that every thing was O.K. So that I played around with the settings on my ubuntu for a while and than I tried to connect it through a switch and that worked for what ever reason. I have no idea why it worked through a switch and not when it was directly connected to the modem/router. It is working now but my desktop PC is still not recognizing the new internet. I am thinking of reinstalling or using some new linux on it but at the moment that is not my biggest concern.

Some other people in the apartment are having problems too. So far only two people managed to connect to the internet besides my self. There are still three other computers that need to be connected. Another woman with ubuntu as well on her dell laptop is having problems too with the new internet. So what do you think is the issue we are having. I am really confused now and I do not know how to solve this or what should I tell them why we are having all these problems.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

There are a couple of factors i would consider at first.

1. The settings on the computer and
2. Conflicting IP addresses.

On the windows systems i would install CCleaner and also go to command prompt and clear the dns settings.

Code: Select all

ipconfig
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
I also suggest to try setting the computers to static ip addresses

Also remember that the cable connection is DSL while telephone internet services are connected via ADSL which is why i suggest the above. On your linux box you might have to add the connection type manually. Someone else might have more information on this.

Sorry just woke up and will read the problem again once i have had my regular 5 cups of tea and smoked more cigarettes :lol:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I am suspecting conflicting settings for the ISPs, old or new too.

you are saying you have the ISP cabled in through a switch - instead of the modem/router they provided? It could be pointing to a problem to the modem/router settings.
Take your time and redo everything - it does not take long. Make sure you are matching up netmask, DNS, Gateway on the working computers to the non-working computers.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

mmm you said you use ubuntu and the other woman is using ubuntu as well...
both of you are having problem connecting to the internet
the thing is that i have ubuntu as well and am unable to connect to the internet whem am using ubuntu
month ago i posted about the problem and the answer came that there is a bug in ubuntu preventing me to connect...
so what if the problem is with the OS ... :wink:
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

l0ngb1t wrote:mmm you said you use ubuntu and the other woman is using ubuntu as well...
both of you are having problem connecting to the internet
the thing is that i have ubuntu as well and am unable to connect to the internet whem am using ubuntu
month ago i posted about the problem and the answer came that there is a bug in ubuntu preventing me to connect...
so what if the problem is with the OS ... :wink:
I have a car, and you have a car and they are from the same manufacturer, but our cars have different engines, tires, transmission, exhaust and every other thing you can think of.
Neither drives.

Is it a problem with the car brand?

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

no the problem is not with the car brand
but what am saying is that both have something in common
what if it need some special configuration or i don't know... but i hade the same problem with Ubuntu... that's all, it could be a setting that is not compatible with the new connection that he's talking about :roll:
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well the problem is not with the OS. I am pretty sure that I have mentioned that my laptop that runs Ubuntu did connect successfully to the new internet.

One of the guys that has not yet been connected to the new internet has asked for my help. He was just reinstalling his windows and I suggested that I just connect his cable to the new internet so that the new configuration for the internet is automatically made but that did not happen as I planned. So we had to manually set it but later it turned out that there was an IP conflict with my laptop that was online at the time. The internet continues to work for a while longer after that message but than abruptly stops.

I am really confused now. The technician that came to set the new internet told me that the little box he set up is a router and modem all in one but when I look at the IP on my ubuntu box that is not LAN IP and when I check it with the WAN IP it is the same. So when I set that same IP on his computer it told me that there was an IP conflict...I really do not understand now. :?
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

i think as DNR said it's an IP thing...

IceDane

Post by IceDane »

l0ngb1t wrote:no the problem is not with the car brand
but what am saying is that both have something in common
what if it need some special configuration or i don't know... but i hade the same problem with Ubuntu... that's all, it could be a setting that is not compatible with the new connection that he's talking about :roll:
I wasn't trying to be mean. I was just pointing out the flaw in your logic.

You may or may not know this, but two systems, especially ones that are not remotely related, can be entirely different. He's probably not using the same network card as you are, or even the same chipset, or motherboard.. In fact, I'd almost bet money on it, if I had any, that not a single thing in your computers is identical.

It all depends on the hardware - well, that and the OS's ability to run that hardware, but we are assuming that it can - and therefore, you can hardly compare the performance of two different systems.

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

well what i said was based on the reply that i got...
it was a bug in the system... i didn't find any answer that point to a hardware problem...
and know you may say i should have search more for hardware compatibility or i don't know what...

and yes you are right... but that i saw on the net it may be true or little bit incorrect or totally false... and i didn't search it alot due to many reason...

and your car example is not totally correct :P to cars have the same brand and all parts are different it's like 2 different model of that brand or getting a BMW and replacing the BMW label with mercedes... :P
just wanna point that what if it was a software problem or miss configuration and not hardware...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Lyecdevf wrote: So when I set that same IP on his computer it told me that there was an IP conflict...I really do not understand now. :?
Enter the router settings, depending on the model it will be 192.168.1.1 or similar. It will probably still have the default login and password. This maybe underneath on the bottom of the router.

Once into the configuration look through the sections and look for one that you can associate to the mac address with the router. You may also have the option to set a static IP so check the settings for that to. Aply a static IP to each computer on the network.

Good luck! :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com