Planning a new rig

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Planning a new rig

Post by lilrofl »

The following parts I'm pretty set on, but opinions will not be refused.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L

Leaving us with the mainboard decision, I'm having trouble choosing between these two.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5

I have an ocz vortex SSD that I will use so I won't need a hard drive.

As for PSU, I ran the numbers and came up with 478 watts (this includes a later upgrade in ram and graphics card) I figured I'd bump up to between a 550 and 700 watt PSU depending on whats on sale in reputable brands when I go down to the store to pick up the non-order parts.

Thoughts?
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sorry, had no time to answer the PM last night...so here's what I think:

I would get the GA-790FXTA-UD5, simply because it supports faster RAMs (1866, the other just 1666). the big advantage of the GA-MA790GPT-UD3H is the support for AM2/AM2+ CPUs, but when you get an AM3 one anyway it don't matter for you. also the integrated graphics processor, as far as I know only the 2000/3000 series supports the hybrid Xfire mode, and your 5770 is more than enough alone already anyway. (the hybrid Xfire feature is more to support weak discrete g-cards in order to display full HD for example).

some other tips:
why using 1333 RAM modules? get 1866 ones! you can find a compatibility list (well, actually it's more a manufacturer's recommendation sheet) here:
http://www.gigabyte.de/FileList/MemoryS ... ta-ud5.pdf
other brands should of course work too, but if possible get listed modules to be 100% on the safe side, also notice that 1866 is only supported on DIMM3 and DIMM4, so just get 2 modules.

for the PSU a 600W one would be a good choice imo, a brand I can really recommend is "BeQuiet", they are really quiet (as the name says), highly efficient, and they are made from high quality parts (german engineering).
stay away from Enermax, I had nothing but trouble with those.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

What about the heat sink? Are you just going to use those aluminium ones that come with the processor. I usually start with the heat sink. :lol: Also maybe rethink your choice for HAF 922. It just comes out looking so raw. I prefer polished/minimalistic exteriors but that is just me. If that is your style than go for it I am sure it has very good cooling capabilities.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the case is a matter of personal taste...for me it's ok as long as it's black... :lol:
but for heatsinks/CPU coolers there is only 1 brand that I can recommend (recommend? I LOVE it): Noctua.

pro:
- awesome cooling performance (my X2 6000+ never went over 52 degrees celsius yet, even after hours of gaming on a hot summer day)
- totally silent
- outstanding quality
- looks cool

con:
- not the cheapest
- not everyone might like the fan colors

http://www.noctua.at
before getting one check the mainboard compatibility sheet on the site, when getting a tower cooler also check the width of the case.

:wink:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Alright, I don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to update my case choice. Picking a case online is difficult, so I went the the local nerd store and fell in love with the Cooler Master Sniper Black Edition.

Very nice!!

I will have all the parts in a few days, all shipping from neweggs California hub so they might be here tomorrow even. I'll build and post pictures.

^^very excited^^

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I would definitely go with the GA-MA790FXT-UD5 board. It is what i have. I have the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P and absolutely LOVE it. Haven't had a thing go wrong with it. This is my first non-Asus computer and I must say that Gigabyte makes a fantastic board.

I was also originally going to go with the Deneb but ended up instead using the 945. My reasoning was simple. Huge cost difference. I am not going to be running any MAJOR processor intensive application. Especially not four of them at a time.

And the way i understand AMD's micro-architecture is that since it is a true quad-core, meaning that each core is seperate to the FSB (unlike intels, which has two cores hooked together then running to the FSB), if one core is being over used the other cores will step in to help it. so it would take running 4 task intensive application to slow it down significantly.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

@Lilrofl

Post by maboroshi »

Lilrofl your system looks good :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

did someone say sniper?

Pics?

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

That's the one... very sexy, and deep enough to park a Honda in while you crawl around installing stuph. Instantly my favorite case. Waiting for two more pieces that should be here tomorrow and then me and my kiddo are gonna put it together :D

Daddy/Daughter bonding time for the win!!

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

that sounds like good fun lilrofl. i hope you both enjoy the time together.