DNR's Puzzles

Questions? Stuck? post here....
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

DNR's Puzzles

Post by DNR »

Besides wargames we wanted to present another learning experience for our members. While some might not be interested in cracking web applications, others might be interested in other technical problems or 'puzzles'.

I use Wireshark for regular work and 'hacking', and many new members might not have much experience with this important tool, and some older members, might want to develop skills with wireshark/packetsniffing.

To play with these puzzles - you'll need to install Wireshark on your computer, you do not need to run wireshark or configure it - wireshark will be used to open the pcap file so you can read the packets of a sniff done elsewhere.

www.wireshark.org/download.html

---

A Sniff at a local Big Boy Restaurant, what did we get?

Get the pcap file here:

http://digitalnomad.suck-o.net/DNR/puz/bigboy.pcap

Do not answer questions here at this time.

1. What was captured in this pcap file?
2. What is the screen name of the person logged in to chat?
3. What is IP and MAC of that user?

--

A big case, what happened in this capture? This is a medium sized business network, lots of extraneous traffic. Some one is up to no good, selling business information to a competitor.

1. Get the IP, MAC, and username of the employee selling information
2. assemble the text from the user's converstation
3. What did they send?

http://digitalnomad.suck-o.net/DNR/puz/evidence.pcap

It will take wireshark a few long seconds to a minute to load the pcap file.
--

Again, keep the answers for right now. You have two levels of captures to test your skill!

More tests and puzzles coming, other files can be software that needs to be fixed, reading code to decipher what it will do, maybe a problem solver story with technical information needed or incorrect.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ohhh...I like this one...nothing more fun than analyzing pcap dumps... :D

thanks bro... :D

scatter
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: DNR's Puzzles

Post by scatter »

this post is old but I will try this game to learn more about wireshark :D thx and I hope I didn t come too late or missed sthg after 4 years since that was posted

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I believe the file still exist and it can be opened by the current wireshark download.

Check it out and post your answers for both pcap files
8)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

scatter

Post by scatter »

I always used to run away from wireshark but now this is a challenge and I like challenges that make me learn more :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

you will install wireshark and then just import the pcap file.
wireshark will open the file to view it capture of the network comms. Reading packets and understanding the network is pretty important for anything you want to do related to computers.

I am interested in your answers 8)

DNR
-

scatter

Post by scatter »

I have it already installed and my studies on that started already :D and this won t be enough I will finish this one and move to do the other old challenges

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

the bigboy one is easy - the second one is a bigger capture and lots of extra junk traffic, it will take you maybe a good 30 minutes to figure that one out.

The second one was actually used in a online exam.

Hint, filters.

DNR
-

scatter

Post by scatter »

noted but now that the chance came I will go deep with wireshark and then test what I learnt on this challenge ^_^

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

more on the pcap file 'evidence.pcap'

Case 1 Scenario:

name: Chris M Long
company email: cmlong@gmx.com
Job: Interior Desiger, faggot

Chris is the interior designer of Company MicroShort(MS), and he is suspected to sell Company design work to another competitor in the industry. The company has enforced the policy where no one can bring in/out USB thumb drive of the Company building.
When Chris's computer is seized, there's no any stolen works found in his hard drive but a piece of software called Eraser, so it is suspected that Chris may erase the files with Eraser to prevent file system forensics, the Company MS has no convincing evident to proof Chris's guilty.
Fortunately, the company has deployed network monitoring system to collect network traffic and they are employing you as Network Forensics Investigator to figure out what Chris has done, extract network-based evident and to answer the following question, you are handed over the network data -

Network-Based Evidence
http://digitalnomad.suck-o.net/DNR/puz/evidence.pcap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Questions:

What is the IP address of Chris' machine?

What is Chris' non-legitimate email address?

What is the method used to communicate to outsider?

Whom Chris has communicated with?

What is the email address of the outsider?

What is the conversation about between Chris and the outsider?

What is the method used to transfer the file?

What is the name of the transferred file?

When was the file is transferred?

How many file was been transferred?

What is the file type?
-

scatter

Post by scatter »

thanks alot :) and plz no more other hints I want to find my way even with too few infos