Your favourite GUI toolkit?

Questions about programming languages and debugging
ayu
Staff
Staff

Your favourite GUI toolkit?

Post by ayu »

I'm placing this here for a few (two) reasons.

1: The debate board is a dirty sh*thole imo (it is, everyone knows it, and this topic needs a little more love then that)

2: It's about coding ...

so, what language doesn't matter, since a lot of GUI toolkits are usable in many different languages, so let's just discuss the toolkits in general.

Personally my first GUI toolkit was Visual Basic (yeah, ew), then when I got a little older I touched wxwidget with C++ a little, and then started using that the first year at the University. I dropped wxwidget last year totally and went for QT (still C++), and I have used QT since then since a lot of work is done on it, it's modern, resourceful and easy to use. It needs some recompiling to exclude useless parts to make the QT core-lib a little smaller, but that's not a big annoyance according to me.

What's your fav GUI toolkit, and what made you stay with it? (language doesn't matter).
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Visual Basic 6.0 for sure! :D

Started with VB, then went into the godlike ascii console like c++ graphics... :roll: Did a bit of swing and C# but I did an internship where they used QT and I really liked it. You just draw your form on a paper and from this, you code it plain simple.

QT also offer nice stuff like signals/slots
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

hiper
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hiper »

tcl/tk == win win :lol:

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I started

Post by maboroshi »

I started learning Tkinter in Python which is Tcl/Tk but I have grown quite fond of pyQT

I am just not as good in it as I am with Tkinter

IceDane
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by IceDane »

1. .NET's WPF. It is simply fucking amazing. If you haven't tried it yet, and you do C# or VB.NET, then you should definitely check it out.
It allows you to design GUI applications visually, as well as to write it in an XML-style language called XAML.

On top of that, it supports natively a shitload of awesome stuff, like hardware accelerated graphics. Bindings are also probably one of the cooler things about it, but they are a bit hard to explain without trying them.

2. Probably Qt with C++. I don't like Forms in .NET because they're pretty shitty, compared to WPF anyway.

3. Forms.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I started to use Tkinter (Tcl/Tk) but found that it makes ugly programs... So I switched early to PyQT and don't think I'll be making another switch anytime soon.

Qt is nice.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]