Making strong passwords

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I use qwerty and password as all my passwords.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

querty is good biggie, hard to find for all people with another keyboard layout that en/us.... :lol:

here is a very good password generator I am using for all my important passwords:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/epg/
it is not only generating highly configurable passwords, it also judges the strength.. :)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

BB those Pwd gens are pretty good, it is not easy coming up with those spec chars, unique strings.

I also tell people stop thinking of it as a password - think of passphrase. a phrase is longer than a word, but just as easily remembered.

iherduliekmudkipz

is a string, not found in a dictionary or even phrase book anyways.

If you can add in special chars do so, but many people are limited to the regular chars like @#$%^ - and those can be added to a dictionary or word list crack. So again, misspellings in your phrase will be better than adding a special char at the beginning or end of your password as people tend to do.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

the standard i use is no less then 8 characters with a minimum of 2 numbers, 2 caps and 2 special characters.

example. SSamLLec09**

Although fictitious, it is easy to remember. CellMass backwards caps at the beginning of both words (or the end in the case) and then 09 SHIFT+88

then if I was to use that as a base, I could add AMZ to the end for amazon, FBK for facebook or MSP for myspace...

Solution to a different remember-able password for every account you have, pick a long enough main string and bruteforcing becomes irritatingly long... also if you pick something that has noting to do with anything you're interested in you take away the ability of your friends and colleagues to guess based on personal habbits...

But yes b_b.. that's a great generator :D
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]