Router problem

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Router problem

Post by ph0bYx »

Hey guys!
I've been having some problems with my internet connection. It disconnects every 30mins or so. I restart the router afterwards and it's all good for the next 30mins. I remember a friend of mine having the same problem and he solved it by restarting the router configurations, which I did too. Now I had to go into the configuration of the router (192.168.1.254 in a browser) to set the username and password again, but now there's a problem. I can't log in the configuration. I've set a custom password a long time ago and I'm pretty sure I remember which one it was, but no matter how much I try I just can't log in. I've tried every possible combination of username and password that comes to my mind and nothing works (the default admin / admin and admin/blank too).

Another thing, these connection problems happen when I'm on Windows XP, and now that I've restarted the configuration of the router I can't access the net from there at all. But on Ubuntu 8.10 I can go online for some reason, but still no luck with the router login.

How can I find/alter/reset to default, the router login credentials now?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

1. record the IPs of DNS, gateway - any settings for your ISP
2. You should have a pinhole in the back, use a paperclip to reset the device to its original firmware.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what brand/model is it?

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

DNR wrote:1. record the IPs of DNS, gateway - any settings for your ISP
2. You should have a pinhole in the back, use a paperclip to reset the device to its original firmware.

DNR
I'm not sure I understand the first one, I did the second thing (configuration restart) and tried the default (admin/admin) which didn't work, and all the rest most likely combinations, non worked :(
bad_brain wrote: what brand/model is it?
Here's the exact model:

Code: Select all

http://www.billion.com/product/adsl/bipac5210s-firewall-adsl2-router.html

EDIT:
FIXED! The first time I restarted the router to default setting I tuned it off first #-o
I restarted to the default while it's turned on and it did the trick, it's working now.
Thanks guys for the quick responses, I appreciate it ;)

BUT! I would like to know if there's a way to get the router credentials without restarting it to the defaults.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

ok - the first one was recording any settings you'll need to configure the router for your network.

The second, now you reset it the device and the default is not working, are you trying the real defaults or making them up? :wink:

other defaults are admin _blank pwd_
admin password , etc so sounds like you need the real default - that will be found in a tech manual - online from your maker..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

router credentials? not sure what you meant but check registry of the windows machine for the credentials needed for windows to identify and access the router.

RTFM :wink:

DNR
-