Boot problem

Problems? Post here...
toast
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Boot problem

Post by toast »

Ok, so Ive got another problem. I got a really nasty virus on my laptop. So i got it removed and it was ok for a few days. Now I tried to restart my computer and it gets hung up on booting. I try to go to safe mode and it gets hung up on booting scripts.

So since I had everything backed up I was gonna install a fresh copy of ubuntu. But when I try it stops at the next setup page where the underscore is and stops. I left it for about 30 mins, and it goes no where.
I havn't tried installing windows yet. But anyone have any insight or advice they can trow my way?!!

;_; Toast

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Which OS are you trying to access. If it is XP insert the system disk and go to the recovery console. First run chkdsk and then use the fixboot command, and if that doesn't work run then try the fixmbr command.

Hope ya get it fixed soon Toast
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

toast

Post by toast »

Okok, Ill try that... I'll pm you after if I have issues

T <3

toast

Post by toast »

Nope, doesnt work... ;_;
Im gonna try "active kill disk" and see if that works.

hpprinter100

Post by hpprinter100 »

wait, if you are on a laptop then you will have a recovery partition. If u do you should restore your OS from that.

toast

Post by toast »

hpprinter100 wrote:wait, if you are on a laptop then you will have a recovery partition. If u do you should restore your OS from that.
Nope that didnt work.

Update- I have no idea what happened, but I was messing around in the bios setup and I disabled the floppy. I restarted and I got to my OS.
So I went back into the bios and and enabled it. And it worked again. So I have no freaking clue what happened. Im pretty sure my computer was just fucking with me.

Ideas on what could have been the issue?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, maybe a little BIOS hiccup...sounds a little odd, but seems especially floppy controllers show weird behavior sometimes, at least that's my experience. maybe it's because floppies and their controllers are more a remain of the old computer days than an actively used technology nowadays, and so there is no active driver/firmware development anymore...
:-k

toast

Post by toast »

Yea I dunno. I always have some weird computer issue that pops up every now and again.

Anyways, Thanks for all ya'lls help!

Toast

toast

Post by toast »

Ok, So its back. Windows worked for a while, and now it gets to the windows logo and then back to bios. I really dont understand how it works sometimes and then it doesnt.
Ideas?