creating my own forum

All about creating websites!
l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

creating my own forum

Post by l0ngb1t »

ok an athletic friend of mine is really interested in building a society on the net for the athletics... he have his own cause...
anyway so since i was interested in web developing i thought : why i don't use this opportunity and learn how to build a forum...

so i did some googling few minutes ago and it really doesn't give you a point to start with but i found this http://www.forumotion.com

i don't know if it's useful and if it offers the features that we can find here

anw i wan't your advice on how to start to build one
what language to learn php, aspx... ? witch one is better...
and hey if it worked well i may host it on B_B server no matter waht the fee was :D at least it'll be safe :D

so... help :P
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Hello

Post by maboroshi »

Hello if your looking to have a good forum, there are many available PHPBB3 for example which is open source.

But if your looking to develop your own then I recommend PHP or Python, personally I prefer python. But in reality most scripting languages can build a forum. Perl PHP Python JSP and ASP are all good choices, ASP to a lesser extent

Research and find the language you like to develop in.

But if you are looking for a high quality forum already built then I recommend PHPBB3

Good Luck

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

mmmm by PHPBB# you mean thing's like the one i posted above
pre-made forum ... !
and btw can we buy a domain name for such forums ???? right ?
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

don't forget that building an own forum platform is not a quick weekend project, no matter what language you use. whenever a user is allowed to actively interact with a public site it's potentially dangerous...and well, a forum is all about interacting (posting text strings), so your code has to be really well written and pen tested... :wink:

I also recommend phpbb3, it's free, widely used and well maintained...and there are lots of themes, add-ons and hacks available.

hosting it on one of my servers would be no problem, same with domain registration... :wink:

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

bad_brain wrote:
hosting it on one of my servers would be no problem, same with domain registration... :wink:
ok cool i'll try PHPBB3
and pm about the fee's and all the details with the domain regestration fee's mmmm abt everything
and i'll show it to my friend (it's not up to me, am just developing :P )

n0sferatu
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by n0sferatu »

for better security i recommend you to use smf