How much does it cost?

All about creating websites!
skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

How much does it cost?

Post by skip »

I am starting to be freelance web designer by starting with html+css. How much should i charge for a basic package? Does the header, logo and website concept should come with the package or its another charge for them? how much for the succeeding pages? and how about the maintenance? Just plain html and css. Am asking how much should i charge for a beginner? The design is not much as a beginner but the reputation of making sites as a beginner. I make sites with the help of HTML validation service (validator dot w3 dot org) to keep the codes neat and clean if they ever check it.

tyvm :)
Image Image Image

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well... to be honest you can't make jack shit with those skills alone. With only HTML and CSS, you can make a static webpage - but almost any good website now has dynamic features that use javascript, mysql, php, etc.

If you don't believe me, go to rentacoder.com and see if you can find someone that wants a site made solely in html and css ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

skip

Post by skip »

Yeah and thanks for the reply, thats why im asking as a beginner and i got my first client thru word of mouth not on the net. A little convo and ive shown him what i can do and he liked it . Not the rent a coder thing, that is advanced to professional, and im not even close to that kind of thing. Well i hope so in a couple of years. And i just wanna know the basics so im asking as a beginner, how much should i charge him or them?

tyvm :)
Image Image Image

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

25-30 dollars i would say...

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

When it comes to business sites I think that you should rely more on Joomla or Wordpress, because it's easy to make a site. You'll make a much better looking site in much less time with much less errors.
I used to code sites in HTML and CSS for fun for myself to learn those things just to know my way around when I have to adjust the code in Joomla or WP.

As far as the pricing goes, I wanted to start my own web design company some time ago and did research on how much others charge. Here are some of the results:
http://www.creationdepot.com/StandardSiteInfo.php

5-pages simple site: $695 - $2,420
7-pages site: $1,400 - $2,720

--------

Code: Select all

http://www.requio.com/
5-pages simple site: min. $650
5-pages customized templace: min. $800
WordPress: $120

--------

http://www.nikimedia.com/customwebdesign.html
Unrivaled Competitive Pricing, starting as low as $2,000.00

--------

http://www.design2please.com/web-design-solutions.php
Home Index page: $125 - $200 + additional pages $50 each
Logo design: $150
5-10 sec. Flash header: $150
WordPress blog: $349
CMS: $49

----------

http://www.yardstickservices.com/small-business-websites
Start-Up Joomla website: ~$1,000
Hope it helps!

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Yes, but all of those prices include more than html and css. The real money comes in when you can incorporate javascript/ajax, mysql, php/asp, etc. For a simple html and css site, you can't make much money.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Yeah, forgot to mention that. But still those prices are kinda sick. Who pays 1k$ for a simple 5 static pages site :?

skip

Post by skip »

Sure is a big help for me as my skills are still like 100-450 on web designing. lol. I have tried playing with joomla and wordpress but didnt really focus on it as i dont have any thoughts of getting into this. Maybe i'l give it a try sometime. Really thanks for the input guys and those prices are awesome but for a beginner, il just go with gogeta70s pricing.
Image Image Image

Macross

Post by Macross »

I made some money only from plain html / css. You should visit this forum

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/
Make 10 posts untill you are allowed to post in sell & buy section. Then just offer your services.

Here is my first site coded for client:

http://www.radbid.com/
He wanted 1 page so i made only 20$, but still i can't complain :)

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Re:

Post by CommonStray »

gogeta70 wrote:Well... to be honest you can't make jack shit with those skills alone. With only HTML and CSS, you can make a static webpage - but almost any good website now has dynamic features that use javascript, mysql, php, etc.

If you don't believe me, go to rentacoder.com and see if you can find someone that wants a site made solely in html and css ;)
Letme stop you right there.

Your right in that, ya if your going to build a 'fullout' website for someone, you'll need some other code language skills, HOWEVER, lets look at the market for people who only know HTML and CSS

- almost any full on system which supports templates needs templates, of course youll pick up some PHP on the way here, but in simplest terms all thats needed is HTML, CSS, and knowing how to use copy and paste to put in dynamic code exampled in a default theme.

- PSD -> HTML (dont need to know JS or PHP for this)

@Skip

create your own themes using only HTML and CSS - sell them on Themeforest or a similar site.

Just because you dont know PHP, JavaScript, ASP, Python, PERL, or any other higher end dynamic language doesnt mean you cant make anything with HTML and CSS because without HTML and CSS the WEB would be boring - bland - unstyled, colorless, unstructured, overlapping and not worth anyones time.

plenty of people make decent money only by html and css alone.

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Re: How much does it cost?

Post by CommonStray »

and just for the record

for design alone a website - which is only the HTML and CSS(&PSD)

I charge roughly $400+ easily

dynamic code implementations generally range anywhere from $300+ into $2-3k ranges depending on what is required and what the deadlines look like.

general gaphics im known to charge anwhere from $25-$70 for stuff like buttons, header banners, logos etc...

ask your faithful sysadmin here, he knows better than anyone :-({|= \:D/