Fermentation

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Re: Fermentation

Post by Pong18 »

when i was 9 years of age, i used to make Santol wine with my mother.
a yummy sweet and sour tasting wine.
a great alternative to white wine if you ask me.

Santol is a fruit found here in the Philippines and some parts of Southeast Asia. it looks like this: Image

so, here, i just researched it again on how to make it because i had not done it for 14years now.
I added the procedures me and my mom did as far as i could remember.
i would just like you to try and make it because it really tastes good if you make it right.

what you need:

- Santol fruit
- brown sugar
- water
- yeast

Note:
I did not specify the amount of the things needed because it really depends on you on how much of the stuff you want to make. as for me and my mom, we normally make it with a kilo of santol, a quarter kilo of brown sugar, 3-4 liters of water, and 2-3 teaspoons of yeast.

1. slice to tidbits the pulp of santol and separate jelly seeds into a separate container.
2. Boil the santol tidbits with water.
3. when the tidbits are at a boil, mix the seeds to extract the sweet juice from the jelly seeds and add the brown sugar.

Note:
the sugar is optional. as for me and my mom, we made it with sugar so it is friendly to young and old taste buds.

4. Filter or strain the juice to remove any solid particles.

Note:
You can add 200-300 ppm sodium or potassium metabusulfite to prevent contamination and browning.

5. Place the juice in a sealed container and keep it for 24 hours.

Note:
Before fermenting the juice, test the acid and sugar levels of the treated juicer or must.
For testing acid content, use pH paper.
To produce dry wines, set pH at 3-4.
For sweet wines, use pH 3.5-5.5.
Adjust pH with juice or citrus or unripe fruit, or dilute with water.
To test sugar content, use the hand refractometer.
A reading of 20 B is good for dry wine and 25 for sweet wine.

6. Add yeast to the must.

Note:
Commercial dry-wine yeast starters can be used, but good results can be obtained with pure cultures of wine yeast in agar slants.
Fleischman's or baker's yeast can be used, but it imparts a "bready" aroma and flavor to the wine.

7. Stir the mixture thoroughly and transfer it to fermentation containers.

Note:
Enamel, floss, wooden oak, earthenware, and plastic containers are suitable for winemaking.
Wide-necked vessels are preferable for pulp-fermentation to facilitate removal of pulp and cleaning.
Narrow-necked containers are best suited for juice fermentation and storage, since they can be sealed easily with a lock or rubber bung.

8. Seal the fermentation container with a water valve or water bung.

Note:
When bubbles form, it means that fermentation is going on. The rate at which gas bubbles through the bung indicates the rate of fermentation.
Don't allow the temperature to drop below 19^C or exceed 28^C.

9. After four or more weeks, the absence of gas indicates the end of the fermentation.
10. Siphon the clear liquid into sterile bottles or oak barrels.

Note:
In moving the jar, be careful not to disturb the sediment.
Fill the bottle or barrel with semi-clear wine 1-2.5 cm below the cover, so that only a minimum amount of air is allowed inside.

11. Age the wine for one year or longer. Longer aging results in more mature and mellow wines. If sediments form, transfer wine into another bottle.

Note:
as for me and my mom we usually ferment the wine for only 3-6months, any older than that and kids won't be able to drink it.

Note:
After aging, the wine should be clear. When it is not, use clarifying agents, such as egg whites, gelatin, milk, bentonite or powdered charcoal. Add and stir the agent. Let it stand for 7-10 days, and filter the wine into clean, properly sterilized bottles.

12. Seal bottles with cork and store wine with drive-corks in horizontal position. Place the bottles in a cool, well-ventilated, and dark place.

If any of you would like to add some tips in improving this recipe please feel free to do so. these steps in this post are the steps for making this wine as far as i can remember it.

Source:
- we are a family that came from a province of wine makers (Ilocos Norte, Philippines).
- http://pinoynegosyo.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... umpit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Pong18 on 21 Feb 2011, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

lykos
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Fermentation

Post by lykos »

Ill agree with you on that one Kombucha is very delicious!

~[Lykos]~