ubuntu effects can't be enabled!

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
crashacid
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

ubuntu effects can't be enabled!

Post by crashacid »

am using ubuntu from last 15 or 20 days don't exactly remember,and was exploring fun stuff..specially Destop effects section..Extra effects were working fine before installing compiz fusion but today i can't see any effects on desktop and when i gets in visual effects tab and try to enable extra effect settings i gets pop-up
Do you want to keep these settings?
i clicked Keep settings but nothing works and when i go back to check settings i see the None:(radio button) is already selected..try to change it in Extra but again None gets selected by itself..
Any Idea :!:
Hatred fuels knowledge

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Re: ubuntu effects can't be enabled!

Post by Lundis »

Your gfx drivers may have broken during an update, you can check if that's the problem this way:

Code: Select all

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
If it says "No", upload the output of these commands:

Code: Select all

$ dmesg
and
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
If it says "Yes", You could try running gnome-control-center from a terminal and see if there's any errors when you change to extra. If that doesn't work... go whine at the Ubuntu devs ^^

crashacid

Post by crashacid »

root@acid-laptop:~# glxinfo | grep direct
disabling 3D rasterization
flushing batchbuffer before/after each draw call
flushing GPU caches before/after each draw call
direct rendering: Yes
root@acid-laptop:~# gnome-control-center

** (gnome-control-center:7573): WARNING **:
error raised: [libslab_get_gconf_value: error getting /desktop/gnome/applications/main-menu/lock-down/user_modifiable_apps]

** (gnome-control-center:7573): WARNING **:
error raised: [load_xbel_store: couldn't load bookmark file [NULL]
]

** (gnome-control-center:7573): WARNING **: get_actions_list() - PROBLEM - Can't load gtk-theme-selector.desktop

** (gnome-control-center:7573): WARNING **: get_actions_list() - PROBLEM - Can't load gnome-cups-manager.desktop

(gnome-appearance-properties:7598): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:7598): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:7599): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

(gnome-appearance-properties:7599): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

There is no available graphics driver for your system which supports the composite extension, or the current one already supports it.
disabling 3D rasterization
flushing batchbuffer before/after each draw call
flushing GPU caches before/after each draw call
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!

Launching fallback window manager

hmm no available graphics driver i think you are right graphics driver might be broken :oops:
Hatred fuels knowledge

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

What gfx card do you have? And do you know what gfx driver you're running? if not you can probably find it somewhere in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If it's an nvidia or ati card you should try the proprietary drivers (assuming your system uses the opensource ones now). Check the menu, system->administration->hardware drivers. Enable the gfx driver if it's available. If this doesn't work... Show me /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I had some problems with my ati drivers... I had working ones, but ubuntu kept wanting to "upgrade" them to some crap that doesn't work (they basically just added "1" at the end of the version number ... ).