ESET and Win 7 conflict?

Problems? Post here...
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

ESET and Win 7 conflict?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

I was using Windows 7 (and XP), from past 3-4 years, without any antivirus. I only use firewall, either comodo or zonealarm.
2-3 days back, I installed ESET Nod 32 Smart Security and I am getting many BSoD errors.
Specially wen Nod pop-ups about any outgoing connection, where I hv d option of allow and deny, N wen i click on any option, i suddenly get blue screen error and comp restarts.
Moreover, it happens when my scan is in progress, n wen i try 2 stop, it also gives me same error.
Pls help...
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: ESET and Win 7 conflict?

Post by DNR »

Windows still has its own security protection and the AVP is likely interfering with it.

Remove the AVP, find another AVP that works.

Like you learned - you really only need a firewall and knowledge of your system. Most emails and most files are scanned by the ISP, the mail server host, gmail, yahoo, etc.
I still can examine files before opening them or using them - sort of like knowing how to handle dangerous chemicals, thats just skill that comes with experience. Still, get a AVP and only install and use it when you need to check out a suspicious file. Most AVP take up too much resources to be that useful all the time. Anytime I have installed an AVP on someone's system, was because they were too stupid to be on the internet, and deserve a lower bandwidth anyways cuz they are slow thinkers too. (oh gee I probably should not have clicked on that..)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

DNR wrote:Windows still has its own security protection and the AVP is likely interfering with it.

Remove the AVP, find another AVP that works.

Like you learned - you really only need a firewall and knowledge of your system. Most emails and most files are scanned by the ISP, the mail server host, gmail, yahoo, etc.
I still can examine files before opening them or using them - sort of like knowing how to handle dangerous chemicals, thats just skill that comes with experience. Still, get a AVP and only install and use it when you need to check out a suspicious file. Most AVP take up too much resources to be that useful all the time.

DNR
Yup.
But which other AV is good? ESET is the only I found, where I can get legit keys from 7-8 different sites on daily basis. First of all, I don't want AV. I don't need. Only a good configured FW and Wireshark is suitable for me. Also, before opening any EXE, i scan it under NVT and Anubis and there is 1 more scanned which i bought frm HH.
Also, first, I search for open source programs and if i dun find any suitable prog there, then only I go for these...
I need AV coz nowadays, some of my home buddies use my comp too frequently, with DVDs, CDs n USB drives.So im worried abt my comp.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Set up your system to be fail-safe as possible.

You should keep valuable data offline - like on a external drive, or a SD, or USB stick.
The computer should just be your OS and browser, some applications like media player, office software, etc. You'll have a recent restore point of the last working config in case your roommates fuck shit up. And all your files will be stored elsewhere - meaning no snooping too. Keep the restore disks hidden.

Never trust that computer since it is used by others - others that might not be smart - this is really perhaps the reason you NEED a AVP - to protect the system automatically in the face of your room mates ignorance or carelessness.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

Avast baby thats where its at now