copy protected CD disabled CD/DVD burner

Problems? Post here...
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

copy protected CD disabled CD/DVD burner

Post by bad_brain »

well, well, I tried to copy a CD (Blink182-Enema of the state) which is copy protected. when I inserted it it autostarted and tried to install a own player, I canceled the install and voila: I can´t burn any CDs or DVDs any more, my LG 4166 drive now don´t recognize any blank discs. I de-installed any burning software, re-installed even the hardware...no effect, can´t find any registry entries or startup entries...this is pretty annoying.. :roll:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Copy protection attack

Post by DNR »

Sounds like the CD trying to install its own player might have overwritting your orignal CD player. Try reinstalling that? I can't think of a regedit program that can show you what changes were made recently, usually they have to be installed prior to making changes by installation or running programs to observe that.

We need to find out what company/app is the copyright protection - research them and find out how they do it.

This could be a decent thread, but the nfo maybe propriety sensitive, so tread carefully in here :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

d10b
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Rootkit.

Post by d10b »

If the CD autoplayed and tried to install you might have a rootkit installed. Did you cancel in the middle of the installation? Or before it even started?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Copy protection attack

Post by bad_brain »

DNR wrote: This could be a decent thread, but the nfo maybe propriety sensitive, so tread carefully in here :wink:
right, this thread isn´t about "how to copy this protected CD", so please no posts in this direction... :wink:

well, I'll kill the system now anyway because I don´t trust it anymore, so I inserted the CD again and took a snapshot:

this banner is displayed right after the CD is inserted, after 2 seconds you´re already in the install menu which means you can´t skip before the installer has started.

and here the HUUUUGE logo on the CD, I´m glad it´s so big that everyone can see it, and also great that "enhancedCD" provides the user already with enough info to know that this CD is protected... :roll:

it is even impossible to browse the CD, when you want to open it the installer starts again. I opened it under Linux (MUAHAHA!!) and found the "player" file which has a size of 85!! MB.
playing CDs or DVDs still work, just burning is impossible...the drive don´t recognize blank disks any more, so I think it´s depending on a driver-issue (or even on a lower level?).
I had not enough time yet for a deeper analysis or for googling, more info to come when I've done full system scans...

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

So this is a case of DRM fucking up a CD/DVD burner?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

E-CD

Post by DNR »

I found the logo to match:
http://www.rhymerecords.com/EnhancedCD.aspx

You are dealing with Enhanced CD feature and possibly a DRM software that E-CD runs. Or it could be a bad code for installing E-CD and not even a DRM app..
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Chaos1986

Re: copy protected CD disabled CD/DVD burner

Post by Chaos1986 »

Sounds Like The Drivers For Your Burner Were Overwriten. The UMP Must Of Wrote Over The Burner's Drivers. :( Bad_Brain Sometimes If You Go To Install A Program And Cancel Out In The Middle Of The Installation You Can Get Problems Like This. So Take And Install The Universal Media Player Then After You Fully Install The Universal Media Player Run The Uninstall Wizard. If That Doesn't Do It Just Take The CD With The Drivers For Your Burner And Reinstall The Drivers And Other Software. Hope This Fixes Your Problem Good Luck. :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I already re-installed all burning software, no effect.. :?
the fun part is that DVDs can be burned without any problem (at least with DVDshrink), but no matter which app I use blank CDs are not recognized by the drive. I wanted to update the firmware but found not a single working link, not even on the LG homepage... :roll: so if anybody can provide me with a working link for the firmware 1.02 for a LG GSA-4166b DVD burner I would be really glad...

I found nothing suspicious in the registry in context with the UMP app, so maybe it´s really just a random error because of the skipped install or it´s a hardware problem and the drive is damaged. I´ll connect it to my Linux box and then try again...

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Don't know if these are what you're looking for, but here's what I came up with.

Code: Select all

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/LG/LG-GSA-4166B.shtml
Hooray Stavros? (yes, the question mark is supposed to be there)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I tried this download yesterday already, but today it worked (after 3 minutes waiting until the file transfer started).....so:
Hooray Stavros! :lol: :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh well, I connected the drive to the Linux box: same, no blank CDs are recognized...last chance would be the firmware update, but the problem is that the drive is just about 6 months old...if it still would not work after the update I surely would get problems when I send it back to the manufacturer... :?
it SEEMS that it´s a random hardware error, but the simple fact that it occured right at the time when I inserted this weird CD is already more than strange.. :evil:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

give the cd to a friend and tell him to interrupt the instal

Post by DNR »

it is true, you would have to insert the cd into another computer and attempt to duplicate the error as a last attempt to figure out why this happened. It is also true that hardware errors can be spontaneous and without cause.

The last test would be trying the same thing on another computer, or with a new CDRW drive installed. If it fuxors your new CDRW, oh well! :roll: Shoulda had Windowz PnP..

DNR
-