BBQ

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

BBQ

Post by n3rd »

Hey Guys, lets start this awesome topic, since I love making ribs for myself.

only problem for me is, I live in a condo so I cant actually BBQ inside XD.

my question to you guys is; do you know how a bbq smoker is designed.

I made some google searches but havent found a good description how the smoker does its work. and I really would love to make a smoker for myself that I can use at a window :P
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: BBQ

Post by lilrofl »

smokers and bbq are almost the same, differing only in fuel type, and heat intensity, I saw an excellent show on it the other week and found it on youtube for you.

[youtube][/youtube]
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

haven't read it all, but maybe there is a plan in it that is useful for you:
http://www.texasbarbeques.com/support-f ... rplans.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh, and check your local fishing equipment shop, they should have cheap portable ones..

:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

smoker? bbq ribs? in the f'ing window of an apt??!

Well, you had me until you put the last criteria - in an apt, in the window even!

Ol' DNR here is considered a master chef by those that I have fed.

For ribs - start with boiling them in a big pot, with some garlic cloves. You want to boil off the fat and it starts cooking the meat internally.

Then you want to put it on fire - you could find a local park and grill it outside, since it was pre-cooked a bit by the boil, you don't need that much time on a portable grill.
Any charcoal grill can have wood thrown on it for smoked taste, I recommend hickory.

If you don't grill, then you need a broiler pan, and you finish cooking it under the broiler, not bake.

Get some corn on the cob, leave it in the husk, soak in water - and put on the grill also. Do this after you cook the ribs, the husk burns a little and leaves ashes on the grill.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

yeah, I have a double window in my hallway on which I want to build a mini smoker, to fit 2 ribs in :) so I would like to build a smoker :D maybe from a old fire extinguisher or something :)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

1. apartment management will likely bust your ass for modding a building you don't own
2. you'll stink the fuck out the place with smoke - you want to sleep in a dumpster of a bar-b-que? Cause that what it will smell like.
3. grease will drip down the wall of your building, causing #1. to re-occur
4. Your ribs will taste like ammonium phosphate

Forge a coupon for your local rib shack

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

JuggaloMushroom
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by JuggaloMushroom »

OFFTOPIC DNR quit being a sour puss, you sour puss. [-(
:lol:
Well I am no expert, but I remember seeing something on TV. See the smokers are pretty simple machines, and as far as I am concerned, all they are is a chamber with a lid, and a grill inside (to hold the meat obviously.) The smoker just needs a proper place for fire at the bottom, and a fuel source. Now as far as fuel, I'd say use propane, unless you've got flavor trees growing around your house, even then I'd say use propane and then add chips of trees, that way you get more out of the trees, while getting good flavor. Old smokers were just modified wood stoves, so you can get the idea of how it's suppose to work. Before you do anything, do some more research, and get some accurate data, unlike my shoddy analysis. *thumb* mind the gap.

-Sincerely,
Hank Hill (Unless you watch the show you will not get this joke, at all.)

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

thanks!,

I have a design in my head, just thinking about the airflow, what is better, to keep the smoke inside or let it go in to the meat chamber and leaving it?

Its going to be a fairly simple design to hold 2 or 3 spare ribs (thus increasing the safety for not burning down my house :D)

JuggaloMushroom

n3rd wrote:thanks!,

I have a design in my head, just thinking about the airflow, what is better, to keep the smoke inside or let it go in to the meat chamber and leaving it?

Its going to be a fairly simple design to hold 2 or 3 spare ribs (thus increasing the safety for not burning down my house :D)
what do you mean by "keep the smoke inside or let it go in to the meat chamber and leaving it?"

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

ventilation wise, is it better to keep the smoke in, or let it out?

JuggaloMushroom

that is up to you, I'd say in as it probably keeps the meat juicier. If you're going to let smoke out, don't let a lot of it out, just a small amount, the smoke is what gives the ribs the tasty flavor.