ISP question

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
oltenvisp

ISP question

Post by oltenvisp »

can my ISP see the ip address of the ppl that i am chating with on facebook ,or the ip of the ppl that are sending me messages on facebook ????

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Re: ISP question

Post by moudy »

As far as I know, any I.M. service you use, or even facebook, your connection with your friends is established through the servers of that service ( yahoo, msn, facebook, etc...) unless you make a direct p2p connection, like sending a huge file, or opening a cam, the answer is no, your ISP is not supposed to be able to view that address of your friends.
Probably the issue is different with "facebook chat" specifically (I highly doubt though), if so I don't know much about it.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Moudy is correct.

The ISP will only see the connection you make to Facebook's server - as you read messages on facebook.

But, rarely - some ISP can do "Deep Packet Inspection" thats where they read the contents of what is being transmitted between your computer and facebook's server.
So while they might not know who you are talking to, they can see the content of your messages. They don't know the identity of your reciepient because facebook or IM translated that person's IP to a propreity UID. They could supoena the IM or Facebook to Identify the UID.

It is resource intensive and I am sure your ISP would only do this on specific request by law enforcement. The ISP just cannot 'sniff' all packets from all customers, it would be like trying to drink from a high pressure firehose.

To avoid deep packet inspection, you use encryption, then they will have to decrypt your traffic to inspect it.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yep, (depending on the country you live in) ISPs also have to store your connection data for at least 6 months (Europe, North America, Australia). sniffing/storing the actual content like emails, chat conversations is not allowed, but I wouldn't rely on that, here in germany there was a big scandal just a short while ago where a big ISP (telekom) sniffed data of employees, journalists and politicians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_T ... ontroversy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;