short downtimes

Announcements and for questions/problems..
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

short downtimes

Post by bad_brain »

sorry for the 3 short downtimes in the last couple of days, a core-switch in the server farm died 2 days ago and the first downtime was caused by the time the redundant switch needed to jump in (the whole 85.25/16 IP-range was dead at that time).
in the last night a new core-switch was installed to provide redundancy again, and in this night the other switch is also replaced by one of the new generation. :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: short downtimes

Post by bad_brain »

the little downtime in the last about 30 minutes was most likely caused by a broken carrier, because the whole 85.25.x.x IP-range was dead again (the server forum I am on filled up with admins having unreachable servers within minutes :lol: ).
I will report as soon as I have further info.... :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: short downtimes

Post by bad_brain »

ok, here's what happened:
in Frankfurt a darb fibre ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fibre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) went completely down, and because of a software bug in the (Juniper) routers in the server farm the redundancy was not taking effect. Juniper has already been contacted by the server farm management, so they will fix that bug asap. :)