Suck-o Jabber Service

Announcements and for questions/problems..
ayu
Staff
Staff

Suck-o Jabber Service

Post by ayu »

Suck-o members can now get Jabber accounts on my server if they want.
Personally I have switched from Yahoo and MSN, to Jabber/XMPP since it's a more secure protocol (MSN/Yahoo isn't secure at all actually).

The service isn't complete yet, but you can create accounts now and connect and use the service for secure chatting.

From the user point of view, it works just like MSN or Yahoo, the difference is that the accounts are stored safely on my server (and your account can be removed again per your request should you for some reason want that). And everything that you send to a contact on the server, will be encrypted.

Also if you have a friend who uses a Jabber service on another server, then you can still add this friend to your contact list on your jabber account on my server, and your client will take care of the rest.

To get an account the usual procedure is to send an email that is specific for this service, but it has not been setup yet due to some migration process from exim4 to postfix on the server, so if you want an account you send me a PM here on Suck-o with the following information:

At the moment the only domains you can use when adding an account is:

(I will ask b_b about using suck-o.com for this later, but it is not available yet)

###TEMPLATE###
Username: <desired_username>
Password: <desired_password>
Domain: <desired_domain>
Referece: <A reference from a known suck-o member>
#####END#####
Note: The reference is for your friends. If you are a registered suck-o member, you are allowed to invite friends to use the service so that you can chat with them, but they must include your Suck-o nickname in the reference, so that I know a little about the people joining.

In this case, since you can only send me a PM to register on suck-o, you will have to send the information via PM for your friends (with the reference as well! even though it comes from your account!).

If you do not know what Jabber/XMPP is => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible ... e_Protocol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Suck-o Jabber Service

Post by ayu »

Jabber service update:

The server will be changed to a new one.
All current accounts will be switched to that one.
Registration will now be easier as well with the introduction of a web registration interface that users can register with.

Available features for the new server will be like any other chat service, file transfer, video/audio, group chat .. etc.

The difference is that I ensure you that nothing is logged and everything that is sent is securely encrypted (even the information between servers will be forcefully encrypted, but this might change depending on how other xmpp services like google talk and facebook chat acts)

More info to come tomorrow.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Registration for the jabber service is now opened.
For anyone who wants to stop using msn/skype/yahoo etc, then this is a good alternative.
It's completely safe in the ways of encryption and no logs are ever saved on the server.

You can add your contacts from Google talk, and more features are available to make it possible to talk to contacts who uses other protocols as well, such as msn and skype.

Registration is available at

Code: Select all

http://unavailable
The design is not ready yet and there are a few stuff that has to be fixed, but the main functions for this service are working at least :)

trickb0x
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by trickb0x »

Thanks for clarifying that logs are not kept. It seems like a lot of services (web services mainly but chat as well) keep logs for insane periods of time. It would be nice to post up a privacy policy somewhere (ie what information do you store?)

Thanks for running this cool service!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

trickb0x wrote:Thanks for clarifying that logs are not kept. It seems like a lot of services (web services mainly but chat as well) keep logs for insane periods of time. It would be nice to post up a privacy policy somewhere (ie what information do you store?)

Thanks for running this cool service!
Yeah more clear info about the service will be posted when I finish my site at .... :)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Feature added:

Users can now join a "conference room" named lobby.
The room works just like any chat room, and is available to all users on the server.
Users from other servers can join as well, and new rooms can be created for those who wish to talk in private.
The rooms are similar to the Suck-o IRC.

Just like the rest of the jabber service, EVERYTHING is encrypted, and NOTHING is logged, which makes it perfect for "secret" meetings.

To join a room, just use your regular jabber client.
If you already have an account on the server, then you can just list the room and join