HIFI .. anyone??

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
Artificial Interceptor
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

HIFI .. anyone??

Post by Artificial Interceptor »

Hey, WE need a HIFI topic!
i'm gonna buy a Denon PMA-510AE Stereo Amplifier (not receiver).

You can read about it in this article, (i'm not gonna buy cd player in the article)
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/3080
specs:
  • Price: £250
    More info: Denon
    Size: 434(w) x 121(h) x 307(d) mm
    Weight: 6.5kg
    Power output: 45 watts/channel, 8 Ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.07% THD
    Connections: 3 line inputs, 2 tape circuits, phono (MM) input, two sets 4mm binding posts for loudspeakers, 6.3mm headphone socket
    Features: Source direct switching, European sound tuned, remote control
Quote from the site:
Hardware
The PMA-510AE amplifier is rated at an apparently generous 70 watts per channel, but this is based on a 4 Ohm load, at 1kHz and for 0.9% THD, which, using the usual rules of thumb, should translate to around 45 watts per channel based on the more usual stipulations, namely 8 Ohms, RMS 20 - 20kHz, and <0.1% THD, which indeed is what the detailed specifications state when you read the small print.
You can buy it on this site: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page ... ct_ID/6396

SO what are your oppion on this matter? do you recomend something else that eventually is better for the same price?
Sincerly Artificial Interceptor [i]aka[/i] Plexrod
Music is Art!!.. Hacking is Art!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: HIFI .. anyone??

Post by bad_brain »

I've been into HiFi and HighEnd for years, I've built tube amplifiers and power filters.
if you want to hear my honest opinion: you can get way more for the money.

first: what kind of music are you listening to?

here are 2 candidates that both make the Denon sound like a cellphone output, both the same price:

the NAD C326 BEE
http://www.sightandsounduk.com/NAD-C326BEE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the Marantz PM6003:
http://www.sightandsounduk.com/Marantz-PM6003.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which one to get depends on your personal preferences, the Marantz sounds very precise and smooth, the NAD is more of a bad boy, not THAT precise but with an awesome punch.

Artificial Interceptor

I've been into HiFi and HighEnd for years, I've built tube amplifiers and power filters
How come we don't have a Hifi channel in Hobbies area ?

Here in Denmark the prices are wierd, example: (examples in DK prices converted to EUR)
  • Denon PMA 510AE Stereo Amplifier
    cost 1,399 DKK (Denmark Kroner) <=>187.735 EUR = (Pretty Cheap one i can afford)
    NAD C326 BEE Amplifier
    cost 3.299 DKK <=> 442.696 EUR (Also cheap but i can't afford it.)
--------------
I have thought about buying one of these models:
  • NAD C316BEE, 1,999.00 DKK = 268.243 EUR
    Cambridge Azur 340A SE, 1899 DKK <=> 254.822 EUR
    Denon AVR-1311 Surround Receiver: 1899 DKK <=> 254.822 EUR
(These models above are the cheapest i could find)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

personally I knew BB was a HIFI geek. I agree, there should be a section on that kind of electronics. He's got pictures. :-99

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ooook....I might add a HiFi section then... :lol: :P

the NAD C316BEE, and the Cambridge Azur 340A SE are both very fine amplifiers (much better than the Denon), which one to get depends again on your musical preferences, the NAD is a little more beefy and right into your face but can sound a little aggressive sometimes, while the Cambridge is the opposite: laid back with beautiful voice reproduction but when it gets really loud it can sound maybe a little too "nice".

and don't even think about getting a cheap surround receiver. I mean, how good can the quality of the components be when the parts for 5 or 7 channels plus the receiver parts are cheaper than for a 2 channel amplifier. :wink:

Artificial Interceptor

and don't even think about getting a cheap surround receiver. I mean, how good can the quality of the components be when the parts for 5 or 7 channels plus the receiver parts are cheaper than for a 2 channel amplifier.
That is a good point you got there.

what is your take on Onkyo TX-SR608 ?
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/TX-SR608.html

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, in the price class of surround receivers under 500 Euro the Onkyo is surely a good tip, but you have to keep in mind what following cost a surround system brings:
- 7 speakers, all from the same series
- lots of wires
- active subwoofer
for a decent system that would be at least 2000 Euro extra, and you will need a proper room too to be able to enjoy the performance.

and a surround receiver for 500 Euro can never compete with the stereo performance of a good stereo amp for half the price. if you want good surround AND good stereo performance it gets pretty expensive.

if you plan to build a nice home theater but you don't have 2000 bucks ready I would get a good stereo amp first and invest the extra money you would have to pay for the surround receiver into some nice speakers that can be used later for the surround system too. that way you would have an awesome sound right from the start and you can upgrade whenever you want to.
a good speaker manufacturer is Bowers & Wilkins, the models 686 or 685 would be a good start and would give you an outstanding stereo performance with the NAD or Cambridge amps (the 685 is around 600 Euro, but when you look around a little you can get it for half the price, the 686 are cheaper), and B&W provides also complete home theater series so you can buy the rest of the speakers from the same series later:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speaker ... ducts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, B&W also produces the legendary "Nautilus" speakers, I want them SO much:
http://www.duban.sk/HighEnd2004/B&W%20Nautilus%202.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;