Advise for a new laptop running Ubuntu

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Mohseen
forum buddy
forum buddy

Advise for a new laptop running Ubuntu

Post by Mohseen »

I’m a newbie with Linux, but I’ve decided to take the plunge an go for Ubuntu (salute to lilrofl).

I’ve heard that Ubuntu does not support wireless internet, is this true? Because if this is true I’m stuck since 90% of my internet is wireless.
So basically I want some recommendation form experienced Linux/Ubuntu users as to what laptop to go for that has a wireless card that Ubuntu will work with.
Pleas take note of the following 12 items when recommending a laptop:
1 ) Budget is $600.
2 ) Must have a minimum of 2GB RAM.
3 ) DDR3 is desired but DDR2 will do.
4 ) Must have a good webcam, I do a lot of Skype.
5 ) Must have a optical drive capable of burning DVD’s ( a super drive not a combo drive).
6 ) Minimum of 3 hours battery life.
7 ) Not a must but if it looks cool all the better!
8 ) Should have a graphics card better then Intel GMA 950.
9 ) Should have a reliable, strong build preferably aluminum, I need this thing to last for 5 years with no heat or fan issues or plastic pieces breaking all over! (who the hell is responsible for the old white Macbook? I’m going to eviscerate him!).
10 ) Should be pre-disposed to media HD content (good quality screen with good pixelation).
11 ) Easily detachable power cord if possible, I tend to trip over my wire cords a lot.
12 ) Screen should be minimum of 12 inches, maximum of 15 inches.

It should definitely have the norms like WIFI, Bluetooth 2.0, USB ports, Head phone ports etc. also please take not that it should have a very large HDD, minimum of 160 GB, I’m a movie freak lol.
If the the laptop your going to recommend is over budget thats fine, please just don't let it exceed $750 in total please.
Remember the important factor is the Notebook should have a wireless card or something that lets me surf a hotspot with Ubuntu installed.

Also this is my first ever posting of a new topic in a forum! Go easy and have fun and lets share some knowledge together!. :lol: :lol: :D

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: Advise for a new laptop running Ubuntu

Post by lilrofl »

I don't run Ubuntu, but I've only had one problem with wireless and Linux. My computer had a RaLink RT2860 which didn't have kernal support until recently.

P4 is correct, you should have no trouble finding a lappy to meet your needs, I'll give a look when I get home and see if one stands out on the forums.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]