Question (phreaking)

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Question (phreaking)

Post by Raz0r »

I have a question,do grey boxing and black boxing still work (telephone phreaking) and if so, is it sensible to use in these common times?
I can use all the shells,so now I can finally hear the ocean

lykos
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Question (phreaking)

Post by lykos »

- Black Boxes are used to let the caller not get charged for a call. These were popular in the 80's and 90's i believe. They were especially popular for people who ran BBS's so that they didn't get charged for all the incoming calls. I believe that modern telephone systems have rendered black boxes useless and the usage of them usually just ends up ending the call.

- Grey boxes (also called Silver Boxes) are basically a modified DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Function) keypad it basically added four extra keys that were used in the AUTOVON (Automatic Voice Network) The extra keys were used to set the priority of the call. These boxes are also not in use anymore because the AUTOVON phone system is now obsolete.

One box that you might want to look into is the beige box. Its basically a homemade line-mans handset that allows you to hook into a telephone line and eavesdrop they are fairly simple to make and require only a couple modifications to a handset. Probably the most useful method is taking a wireless handset and modifying the dock for it. Hook the dock up to the phone box and then sit in the car and listen remotely to the conversations.

Hope that was helpful!

~[Lykos]~

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

Thanks,I will research this beige box and it's modifications.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Boxes don't work anymore.

"The end of multi-frequency (MF) phreaking in the lower 48 United States occurred on June 15, 2006, when the last exchange in the continental United States to use a "phreakable" MF-signalled trunk replaced the aging (yet still well kept) N2 carrier with a T1 carrier. This exchange, located in Wawina Township, Minnesota, was run by the Northern Telephone Company of Minnesota. Many phone phreaks from across North America and the world made calls into what was the last group of MF-able inward trunks in the continental United States. A message board was set up for Paul Revere on +1 (218) 488-1307, for phone phreaks across the world to "say their goodbyes" to MF signalling and the N2 in Wawina.

During the days prior to the cutover, many famous phone phreaks such as Mark Bernay, Joybubbles, Bob Bernay, and Captain Crunch could be heard leaving their comments on the message board. The official date for the cutover from N2 to T-carrier was Wednesday, June 14. As early as June 7, there was a noticeable static on what had previously been clear lines. By Monday, June 12, many numbers were unreachable, and the static had peaked. The recording on +1 (218) 488-1307 was generally inaccessible, and MFing through the switch was becoming increasingly difficult due to the increased static. On June 15, at around 1:40 am, Eastern Daylight Time, any new incoming calls were unreachable}. (wikipedia.org)

You need to even be careful tapping onto telco wires today - digital switching equipment is lower voltage, if you tap in at the wrong location you can damage the telco equipment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_telephony-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; most tapping is done at the Telco Colocation facility, via a digital switch.
and read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_cla ... n_the_PSTN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Fun -

http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

read:
http://web1.nps.navy.mil/~budden/lectur ... t_wan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

Damn.....the good old days are really gone for good.